Any recommendations for upholstery, carpet & seatbelt replacements? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This summer I'd like to tidy up the interior of my 1984 BJ60 a bit (since it's not urgent, I can take my time ordering from eBay, etc). Of course I've got the stunning poo brown interior. Today I ripped out the hideous and tacky faded blue fake sheepskin seat covers. The original upholstery is fine (just needs a cleaning), except the lower part of the driver's seat (part you sit on). It's ripped with stuffing coming out on the left side. Can I replace just this one section? I'm sure I saw a thread about this a while ago, but can't find it now.

How about replacing the carpets? The worst section is the middle (rear seat area) carpet and the piece on the tailgate, but I'm considering replacing all of the carpets. Is JC Whitney an OK place, or is there a better supplier? Or should I just get some generic automotive carpeting (maybe in black instead of brown)?

Lastly, for seatbelts should I stick with the Toyota dealer? My driver's seatbelt doesn't retract on its own. A while ago I accidentally slammed it in the door and broke the plastic part on the buckle. I think the dealer was $150-ish for a front seatbelt. A bit steep, but it might be worth it since this is the most frequently used seatbelt. I might consider used for the front passenger belt since it's used less. The right rear passenger belt doesn't work at all, but will be rarely used.

Sorry if this was already covered somewhere. I checked the FAQ section and didn't find any links...

Spector (SOR) sells the replacement seat cover and cushion for the FJ60 driver's seat. A littley pricey, but good. You can also check out the "parting vehicle" threads on this site for someone that has a good seat to sell.

Spector (SOR) sells the replacement seat cover and cushion for the FJ60 driver's seat. A littley pricey, but good. You can also check out the "parting vehicle" threads on this site for someone that has a good seat to sell.

Great idea, thanks! SOR has the Front Left (Driver) Seat Bottom Cover-Brown factory stripe material for $210. You're right, a bit pricey. If I can't find a used one, this is what I'll have to get. Maybe a passenger side seat bottom can be swapped onto the driver's side? (thinking that the passenger side might not be used as much and could be in better condition).

SOR also has the correct style molded carpet, but again, a bit pricey at $385. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a used set a bit cheaper, although used will probably be faded.

They don't seem to have seatbelts for a 60 series. I'm not sure I want a used seatbelt unless it was recently replaced. Otherwise it might not retract properly if it's been used for a while. I might have to go to the dealer for that. I'll also check out the used items for sale here on Mud.

I had the same problem and I just took a good passenger side seat and took it apart and took the foam and fabric and moved to the drivers side. The only down side is that you have one small hole where the recliner fed through on the other side. The just cut a small hole on the other side for the drivers recliner to go through and you are good to go. You can always find a cheep seat sitting around that people don't want on mud and you will be set.

I personally like this option for 2 reasons one price and second the passengers side is typically not sat in that much and there for the foam will last several more years without collasping and cutting your vinal all over again.

I actually swaped the entire seat from passenger to drivers.
Didn't solve the problem with the drivers seat - but hey, the passenger will get over it.

If cruiserparts & sor don't have it, search for cruiserdan here on mud to get the best dealer pricing.

Thanks sirenmoses, I'll do that. Looks like I should have no trouble getting that upholstery or seat.

Cruiser88, thanks for the link. I'm actually not a big fan of leather, plus it would be a bit more economical for me right now to only replace the one seat bottom. That, and I love the funky 80's upholstery style - it's so tacky and hideous it's cool! ;) But, a friend of mine with an HJ60 would probably love to have leather seats like he does in his FJ80. I'll pass the link on to him.

Thanks again! :)

The original upholstery is fine (just needs a cleaning), except the lower part of the driver's seat (part you sit on). It's ripped with stuffing coming out on the left side. Can I replace just this one section? I'm sure I saw a thread about this a while ago, but can't find it now.

I have the same dilemna but once you start replacing bits of the poo brown interior it starts looking like patchwork.

I talked with a local upholsterer who works on hot rods and fine old vehicles for exacting customers and we decided on a plan to deal with the sides and first panel of the seat bottom that gets ripped from climbing in and out of a lifted rig.

He is going to restuff my seats and give me some lumbar support, then he is going to replace the vinyl around the side of the seat and replace the first panel that is ripped with the same brown vinyl that is on the bottom of the seat, he can match the vinyl but the cloth is no longer available. I'm going to do this on both the driver and passenger sides so it appears to be stock even though the passenger side isn't ripped yet.

I'm probably one month away from from getting done the seats done but I'll post up when its complete.

HTH

That's a really good idea, thanks! It would certainly be easier than ordering parts and have them go through customs. I'm sure there's someone locally than can do this, if not, then in Toronto (about an hour away for me). It's only a small section that's ripped, so it should be easy to fix, and better stuffing/lumbar support would be great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom