Any problems with Fluid Film? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am thinking about using some fluid film on my 80. I will have to use the spray cans unless someone in atlanta has the sprayer and compressor they will let me nm use at their house. If so I will buy a gallon and leave them what I dont use.

Any down sides or problems with fluid film?

I've had good luck with it. We do our vehicles each fall.
My wife doesn't like the way crud sticks to it when it leaks out of the door seams, but it wipes right off. Seems to last right up until you purposely wash it off with hot soapy water.

Zero downside. It’s so good that I’m not stopping at the frame/chassis this go around - I’m going to paint the whole damn truck with it.

If you don't like the smell, it can be a little intense. Don't get it on anything you can't use solvent to clean. It's nearly impossible to wash off, mostly has to wear off.

I used wool wax this winter and so far I am pleased. Seems to be keeping the terrible MN salt at bay. Wish the previous owners of my 80 had known about this stuff!

I've been spraying Fluid Film from tip to tail every October since I brought my LX450 back to Jersey from Arizona. It's my daily driver and is still rust free. I use a pneumatic paint sprayer and it atomizes very well and gets everywhere. I spray everything metal. It doesn't damage anything, but the brakes get a bit squishy for the first stop, and any overspray will smoke off the exhaust.

I moved to Eastern TN from AZ and have discovered how rust works! I don't think it's that bad here but I'm going to start using this stuff annually.

Cosmoline is more expensive, but works MUCH better and lasts far longer. I used a half gallon of fluid film on my wife's 4runner. after spending 10 weeks and about 4000 miles in northern Montana, there was very little to none left. What was left came off easily in the first pressure wash session when she returned home - but it did its job for that time.

My buddy that lives up there soaked his rust free 07 cummins in CRC cosmoline when he got it, 1 year and 40k miles later it still had most of it left - and no rust anywhere besides tiny rock chips on the rear axle.

I live in Flagstaff, Az now and they salt the roads like they are trying to get rid of it now. We get very little winter weather compared to Montana, so I cant justify the cost of cosmoline since fluid film is great for mild/moderate winter climates. But for northern winters, I wouldn't bother with fluid film - cosmoline is that much better.

I would imagine cosmalin would work great. I have had a hell of a time cleaning it off of mil surplus rifles. Is it the same stuff you are talking about?

How much does this stuff smell? My wife's werewolf nose has already started more than its fair share of marital disputes.

How much does this stuff smell? My wife's werewolf nose has already started more than its fair share of marital disputes.
Fluid Film has an odor that dissipates in a few days. My wife hates the smell, but I don't care. It's temporary and smells like my truck won't rust.
It does get funky when it burns off the exhaust, but again, only temporary.
Woolwax has less of an odor, but still smells.

Another thing about Fluid Film is that it is not harmful to anything, including plants and animals.

So the smell is totally gone in a few days, or just reduced to the point that it wont bother normal people? Because she is definitely not normal, lol. :princess:

I've been spraying Fluid Film from tip to tail every October since I brought my LX450 back to Jersey from Arizona. It's my daily driver and is still rust free. I use a pneumatic paint sprayer and it atomizes very well and gets everywhere. I spray everything metal. It doesn't damage anything, but the brakes get a bit squishy for the first stop, and any overspray will smoke off the exhaust.
And it smells like a wet sheep crawled in the cab with you for a day or two... but other than that, great stuff!

So the smell is totally gone in a few days, or just reduced to the point that it wont bother normal people? Because she is definitely not normal, lol. :princess:
My wife is the same way. She can smell a fart before it happens from across the room.

Another proponent here too. Been using Fluid Film and ACF50 on our vehicles for years.

Fluid Film is great for all the underneath bits. Only drawback is that it is a real dirt and dust magnet after application. Makes wrenching a filthy proposition, but way less frustrating than rust to deal with.

The ACF50 is great for underhood applications or any other areas with electronics (developed for aircraft electronics, airframes, and avionics) or parts you don't want covered in grease. It's a bit on the spendy side, but works great and creeps into threads and tight areas well.

I coat the frame on my 2004 Tacoma with it every year. Over the years it has noticeably stopped some of the rust on my frame. Only downside is when I have to work underneath the truck. It’s a mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom