Any precut headlight protection films available? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
The recent headlight thread got me thinking I should spend a little on preventing damage.

Could you share any info you have about precut headlight protection films? Especially ones you’ve been happy with: which brand you used and where you bought it?

I live in a fairly rural area, so don’t have detailing shops around and will likely end up with a DIY solution. In the past I used a 3m film on a different car, and the precut shape made it easy.

I did some googling and found a few options. I’d like to get something others have had a positive experience with.

Ive had good results with XPel on several vehicle headlamps.

I wouldn’t do a pre cut kit, they leave parts of the top of the headlamp uncovered- so you’ll get sun degradation there.

if the truck is garaged, you’d be ok.

Ive had good results with XPel on several vehicle headlamps.

I have applied the XPEL headlight protection on three cars with no problem and recently purchased the precut film for my LC200. I attempted one headlight and found it very difficult to apply, based on the shape and split nature of the light. I will be taking it to a shop to have this work done from a professional. Also, if you have applied the XPEL headlight protection in the past....you will find that they have changed the film to a much thinner material, which is not much thicker than their standard ppf.

Thanks everyone. This gives me some things to think about and some good options. Have a great weekend.

@abuck99 thanks for the xpel link. I must’ve been doing something wrong before because I couldn’t find the land cruiser listed on their site. It looks like there are several options.

@paulunm it is generally garaged, but maybe I should make the effort to find a pro installer even if it involves a little more driving to get to them to get full protection. Even if it is expensive, it still has to be a lot cheaper than a new headlight.

@HighRanch good to know. The last headlight film I applied was very thick 3m stuff, maybe 15 years ago (!).

Thanks everyone. This gives me some things to think about and some good options. Have a great weekend.

@abuck99 thanks for the xpel link. I must’ve been doing something wrong before because I couldn’t find the land cruiser listed on their site. It looks like there are several options.

@paulunm it is generally garaged, but maybe I should make the effort to find a pro installer even if it involves a little more driving to get to them to get full protection. Even if it is expensive, it still has to be a lot cheaper than a new headlight.

@HighRanch good to know. The last headlight film I applied was very thick 3m stuff, maybe 15 years ago (!).
A few more data points having just had this done to my HE at a top local installer. Film thickness (XPEL Ultimate, anyway) is 7-8mm.
YMMV, though note that bringing it to a professional shop does not mean that all areas will be covered - in my case:
  • PPF not applied to front grille and/or chrome
  • Fog lights not covered, due to the way they are recessed
  • XPEL's pattern for the front bumper is pretty good and provides 98% coverage, though fails to line up fully to the bottom-most edge of the bumper's underside, leaving <1" of the lower bumper's edge unprotected
  • XPEL pattern for side mirrors did not fit Heritage; custom pattern needed (and only covers upper half, ie unpainted portions left unprotected)

Last edited:

Post 27. With my results

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom