Any Other Mods Needed for 30MM Spacers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at all options for a lower cost lift and wondering if I would need to do any other modifications if I just wanted to put 30MM spacers all the way around. Would it change the caster enough to be a problem? Driveshaft angle, etc.?

Thanks

I would highly recommend not to do this because it will kill a bus full of nuns.

Just kidding.

30mm wont change anything in a drastic way.

Would you change your mind if those nuns were all wearing short skirts?

I've run those spacers for some time now on OME "stock height" springs with sway bar drop brackets front and rear because I wanted to.

Looks like your rig now has a new name, "The Nun Killer".

Would you change your mind if those nuns were all wearing short skirts?

I've run those spacers for some time now on OME "stock height" springs with sway bar drop brackets front and rear because I wanted to.
Just to add once the 30mm spacer is added you can run longer shocks like the OME L shocks. The free height of the coil becomes same as a 850J, same goes for the 861/862 coils.

Check out page 1 on Compiled coil thread.

Below are stock front coils & 850J
The L shocks are made for the 850J coil, same for rear.
20180615_191910.png

I’m primarily interested in knowing how high I can go without dealing with caster correction and other suspension geometry issues.

Yeah, your right there.... after 1.5" of lift people start talking about caster correction.

I’m primarily interested in knowing how high I can go without dealing with caster correction and other suspension geometry issues.

The addition of coil spacers is generally #1 need to switch to next version of Caster correction. I have customers that intentionally don’t use spacers so they don’t have to go with the 4” plates because they tend to be more work to install. But they want the even rake so the spacers push the front lift up 1.25” and that’s enough, sometimes, to push you into a 3.5” of net lift in the front thus requiring 4” Caster plates.

But because I don’t know what you have now it’s hard to give a definitive.

so caster changes about 1.74* per inch.
factory caster range is from 2*-4* or a lift range of 1.15"
30mm spacers equal roughly 1.25"

so it comes down to how sagged out the stock springs are to whether or not caster is wihhin spec which for me determines if it needs to be addressed.

And remember too that pre-8/92 the factory castor spec is *not* the same as for post-7/92. Later 80's are set for +3 deg caster, whereas early 80's have a factory caster setting of under + 2 deg.

If you change the lift in any way, get a full wheel and steering alignment report then decide what to do.

And remember too that pre-8/92 the factory castor spec is *not* the same as for post-7/92. Later 80's are set for +3 deg caster, whereas early 80's have a factory caster setting of under + 2 deg.

If you change the lift in any way, get a full wheel and steering alignment report then decide what to do.

while that is true it could possibly be a result in change of ride height from adding weight to the later trucks in the form creature comforts, technological and safety improvements. i dont think that Toyota actually altertered the axle jigs for the 1993 production run.

while that is true it could possibly be a result in change of ride height from adding weight to the later trucks in the form creature comforts, technological and safety improvements. i dont think that Toyota actually altertered the axle jigs for the 1993 production run.
I belive the 3-FE is heavier than the 1FZ-FE
Also the coils are taller on a 91-91 J80, I assume to combat the heavier engine.
Compiled 80 series suspension component spec thread... shocks, coils & more.

Just to add once the 30mm spacer is added you can run longer shocks like the OME L shocks. The free height of the coil becomes same as a 850J, same goes for the 861/862 coils.

Check out page 1 on Compiled coil thread.

Below are stock front coils & 850J
The L shocks are made for the 850J coil, same for rear.
View attachment 1763668

Would you need bump stops for 861/862 + 30mm and the L shocks?
I understand it is not the preferred method to stop axle travel up or down by simply using the shock as the limiting factor.

Another point on the L shocks I noticed here is that (some) people consider them inferior to the new comers (Dobinson, Icon, Tough Dog, FOX, etc).
4" Dobinson shocks come close to the OME L shocks specs.
Others in the 6" flavor.

For example when compressed OME-L is at 15", Dobinson 4" is at 15.35", but OEM I believe is at 14-ish (Bilstein is at 14.4") which tells me they are fully compressed before the up travel is over - which in turn dictates the need for some up travel limitation/protection.

If you look at my thread it will give you all that you ask of also in the shock section of the Compiled coil thread. No need for bumps in front to protect the L shock, (only after 16" compressed). In rear I ran a 1.25" bumpstop for the rear L.
I reference L shocks because I know they work, the suit the 850J coil..... then a have a baseline for all other coils & shocks from there. For instance I know the L shock extends to 26.5" & the short 850J is 20.27" if I'm looking at a 28.5" shock I know it needs a 22.27" free height coil to go with it to stay captive in the buckets.... make s ence? Or you can go the other way, if you have a coil that is only 18.25" tall it can only have a shock that extends to 24.5"..... so on & so on.

So just remember 26.5" shock & 20.27" coil works......

No need for bumps in front to protect the L shock, (only after 16" compressed). In rear I ran a 1.25" bumpstop for the rear L.

I got most of it, but you threw another curveball.
Should I assume the best way to find out what the compressed length is by taking the shock out (like you did in a picture a while back) and measure that distance that way?
I think in this case the coils (hopefully) are fully compressed before I hit the OEM bump stop.

I got your collapsed coils in mind when I made a reference to the above statement.

Now you're talking block height.... I had 40mm on top of the 862s without any problems.... I'm sure 30mm is a safe bet.... it's been done for years... never saw anything about over compressed coils.

Both OME Ls are 15.25" to 26.5" eye to collar rear & collar to collar front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom