Any order DIY 4x4 Labs Rear bumper? Coastal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking into going with a DIY kit. Coastal is the other option but I prefer 4x4labs. Any issues with the 4x4labs DIY kits? Do they come with good directions and how much cutting if any is involved?

anyone want to setup a group buy?

Last edited:
Went with Coastal with a single swing out. $1142 shipped to my house and $200 for powder coat. Overall I love the bumper and I’m really happy with it. The design is not the absolute best looking but the price can’t be beat if you can weld. 4x4 labs looks like a solid choice as well. No cutting or adjustments to the vehicle for the Coastal. Bottom of the bumper is basically a giant skid.
28798574-C2D9-436C-A39F-BC5EA8DB1D83.jpeg

CD3C720A-376A-4A2A-826C-B24CF175F720.jpeg

005105E6-E401-47FB-91D6-00A3E591635E.jpeg

yea coastals price is hard to beat.
I just really can't get over the look straight on from the rear. I almost pulled the trigger twice on it now. haha

Really looking to get feedback on 4x4 labs rear bumper DIY installation or if anyone wants to do a group buy on them. I know they have done them in the past.

Also, anybody knows if it would be cost effective at all to have pay someone local to weld the kit together?

I built my 4x4 labs bumper from the kit. It's awesome and I would do it again in a heartbeat.
I got great support when I called with questions.
There is a bit of fitup work but not bad. Best instructions may still be here on 'mud but they're more builders tips than anything.

I don't think it's cost effective to pay kit shipping and then pay a fabricator, just buy a finished 4x4 labs in that case, it's only a value if you home build IMO.

I used the savings from the kit to buy a welder to build it with and I'm still using the welder, one of my better choices indeed!

Went with Coastal with a single swing out. $1142 shipped to my house and $200 for powder coat. Overall I love the bumper and I’m really happy with it. The design is not the absolute best looking but the price can’t be beat if you can weld. 4x4 labs looks like a solid choice as well. No cutting or adjustments to the vehicle for the Coastal. Bottom of the bumper is basically a giant skid. View attachment 2438170

View attachment 2438177

View attachment 2438183
How long did it take you to weld the bumper together? I'm seriously considering the Coastal.

Not a 100 guy but saw this thread pop up. I welded up a DIY 4x4labs kit last month. Took me about three days spread over two weeks as I had to fit it in between kids and work and you know, Covid life.

Hacking off the crossmember (don't know if applies to 100s?)
1600364211604.png

Dry fitup
1600364260500.png

Welding up the main shell and swingarm test fitting
1600364316481.png

Pull testing the welds over Labor Day
1600364386453.png

And fully loaded up for camping (I made a carrier for my propane tank and water stuff, and also a simple bike rack.)
1600364350722.png

One note is that spray painting it is definitely less "nice" than powder coating, but I also scratched up the bottom and the back edge on rocks and with my tow strap the first time out...so I plan to keep touching it up. If yours will get less (ab)use powder coat seems nicer, but after having a set of sliders powder coated and then realizing how hard it was to touch up nicely I prefer spraypaint.

Message me if you want any more details on building it, I'm not a very good fabricator and it was pretty easy/straight-forward. Would do it again...am eyeing the front bumper kit from 4x4labs too. I would assume their 100 series stuff is just as good.

How long did it take you to weld the bumper together? I'm seriously considering the Coastal.

I should have tracked the hours more precisely but I would guess in the neighborhood of 30 hours. With that said, you can assemble this in a much shorter time. We really took our time on making good looking welds and making sure it was a great fit. There is a lot of welding for this bumper (nothing hard just a lot of seams).

92367CF3-43AE-439B-BC8F-B545913E2F62.jpeg

1B3757A1-3682-4473-AEFF-31CD48224AC2.jpeg

97521B8D-1632-44FA-921F-25F11E75C62F.jpeg

BA4A9607-A0B9-434E-B704-CFE1F8F9C88D.jpeg

I will also add that this bumper sticks out quite wide behind the rear tire. At first this bothered me, but I use it as a step to access the roof rack all the time. Coastal makes hoops that extend up to protect the body which I probably would order if I was doing it again.

I also welded 4x4 labs rear bumper together. Its fun if you have time and friend to help. I was able to add rear lights and a 7 way connector since I have a trailer. It took longer than I thought but most of it was due to my modifications. See my posts for the 7 way and rear lights mods

I've built two 4x4Labs bumpers and would definitely pick that option over the Coastal. The look, function, and ease of assembly (relatively speaking) is top-notch.

well i went ahead and ordered the 4x4 labs DIY kit! Luke said he'd refund part of that $325 shipping when I asked if the shipping was the same so hopefully that happens.

@lasoundguy first off i love the plate! I plan spray paint or that bed liner stuff. after getting it together will have to take it all back off to paint just to put it all back on lol. I had to touch up some sliders and just went with a flat black paint. close enough for me. Did you add those dimples or do they come with them?

80 series 4x4labs are win

100 series... Eh.
why do you say that?

The 4x4L kit for 100s sticks out a little more in the corners for some people’s taste, compared to the 80s design. I have the Labs bumper, it works for me... may not work for others.
Search the 80s forum for fabrication help. There’s a couple differences for the 100s kit that are documented. I have a word file around here somewhere that somewhat compiles instructions from various threads. Sorry about typos and such.

On my old 100, I decided not to run the tube on the wings.

1600376546774.png

On my old 80, I copied what LCPhil did on his 80.

1600376670961.png

1600376695663.png

80 series 4x4labs bumper is super sexy. Just like @nukegoat said

I went with the coastal, a few pieces weren't there but easy to fab at home. and I had the wrong spare tire backing plate LOL

great idea with the antenna mount @davegonz

how much of the taillights are blocked? Are extra lights necessary for brake and reverse?

after ordering a 2 jerry can mount now I'm wondering if I should have gone 3? 😅 I only own 2 jerry can at the moment that I use for water at the moment

A three can basket also doubles as a small cooler basket.

Just the tailgate-mounted section of the lights are blocked on the 100 (from what I remember).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom