Any one looking for an FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Placerville Ca, yesterday went down to an estate sale there was a 63 Fj40. I did not take it figured I would throw it here if someone was looking it is rough but no rust soft top is pretty shot. It comes with another frame and parts axles leaf springs are some that I saw.
1528 Highland Cir
Placerville, CA 95667

1905665E-7511-4C33-8542-B55296D955B0.jpeg

AA5E0815-D821-42C6-9F53-786798FE4206.jpeg

6BF6B103-35E0-47CD-B427-7BB52CA6B9E4.jpeg

It’s a lower wiper, just missing an arm

The wiper arm is there. The lower wiper itself is what is odd. The wiper moved from the top to the bottom with the 75 model more than ten years later. I seen a drawing of a FJ25 with the arms low but never a actual picture. Wipers in the US were always on top until the 75 model FJ40.

Floor shift? I would think it would be on the column . Still a cool old cruiser.

Floor shift was always a option and think a very common mod since OEM parts were available. It's never been clear a actual date in 63 when the transmission/transfer case changed. Because of latch system for the windshield and door opening style on this FST guessing it has the later very common three speed. Early three speed a floor shift is rare.

Does not look like one of those---"brought it home, changed oil, points, plugs and filled it up with clean fuel and it fired right up" type of vehicles. Would love to see the engine! m

I can almost read the ad now: "ran fine before it was parked 10 years ago; these are getting rarer by the minute; just needs TLC; all original including super rare factory roll bar and bucket seats...."

Engine was the usual dirty dried out been sitting was told it runs

1964, sold in 1965 wiper motor was moved to the bottom of the windshield by owner and top holes smeared with filler years ago. Floor shift not factory also. Placed a bid a couple day's ago, grand daughter Ruby 7 years old wants to start building her cruiser. John

Good info John. I hope you get it and you and Ruby can spend quality time working on it:)

1964, sold in 1965 wiper motor was moved to the bottom of the windshield by owner and top holes smeared with filler years ago. Floor shift not factory also. Placed a bid a couple day's ago, grand daughter Ruby 7 years old wants to start building her cruiser. John
7 year old granddaughter wants to build a Land Cruiser for herself.
There is hope for our youth after all.
I was about 8 when my dad sold his 38 Buick Century.
All these years later and I still feel bad about not getting that car.

7 year old granddaughter wants to build a Land Cruiser for herself.
There is hope for our youth after all.
I was about 8 when my dad sold his 38 Buick Century.
All these years later and I still feel bad about not getting that car.

My dad was not mechanically inclined, but he had a ‘54 Pontiac Super Chief straight 8 he hung on to for many years after he stopped driving it.

After he saw me build my shortbed 45, he started talking about how ‘we’ would restore the Pontiac, but we never did.

Guessing it has a OEM or Downey cover plate. The shift knob is a give away It wasn't original to the vehicle. Not sure when that knob started but it wasn't in 64.

Guessing it has a OEM or Downey cover plate. The shift knob is a give away It wasn't original to the vehicle. Not sure when that knob started but it wasn't in 64.

Let’s talk about those knobs John. I was wondering a couple of weeks ago about what was OE at different points along the way. Do you know if there’s a thread on that subject already on the forum. I’m sure between you, me, @pardion , @Cruiser_Nerd and @Splangy we can probably cover all the iterations.

This one suffers from hole being drilled in the sill for a trailer light plug, more holes drilled in the rear frame member and very bad distorted bottom of the rear frame member.:bang: my 68 and 70 both have trailer light plugs in the sill from the original owners but at least they kept the drill away from the frame. The 68 had welds from a receiver hitch but easier to grind then fill.

Let’s talk about those knobs John. I was wondering a couple of weeks ago about what was OE at different points along the way. Do you know if there’s a thread on that subject already on the forum. I’m sure between you, me, @pardion , @Cruiser_Nerd and @Splangy we can probably cover all the iterations.

My thought 72 was when these changed. Believe that is the case for the PTO knob. Could be wrong. Year by year micro-fiche/book would tell when the part number changed. Once changed and old knobs sold just superceded the old part number to the new style. Another question did all markets get a reverse light with the 68 model. If so did the top plate change with the 68?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom