Any OEM height dual-rate springs available? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering if anyone knew of a manufacturer that makes stock height springs in a true dual-rate configuration? Similar to the new Dobinson's VT line of springs?

@TRAIL TAILOR has some "tour flex" springs on offer, I don't know all of the specs, but he has a vendors forum on here. I was going to chime in regarding the Dobinsons, but Variable rate isn't quite what you are after I guess? (c59-210V)
Tough Dog maybe?
Icon offers some dual rate, but I have no idea if they can be had in stock-ish height.

OME 861 and 862
Dobinson C59-210V and C59-221V

Those are progressive, not dual rate.
Also, don't think they are stock height? But I'm not sure
513DB8FC-FF6A-4845-9FC1-F618D545A613.jpeg

B461D7C4-4E03-4E3C-A084-DA274F363DF0.jpeg

The OME stock height are interestingly the dual rate. I run the rears on a ‘04 Sequoia for 2.5” of lift on that truck. Great coil.

Well I'll be darned. I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong, and appreciative of you correcting me and pointing those out. Thanks!

The OME stock height are interestingly the dual rate. I run the rears on a ‘04 Sequoia for 2.5” of lift on that truck. Great coil.

Yea but because of that they can be a little noisy, being duel rate. They were at least on my Cruiser. The clunks and thunks are gone having jumped up to 850/863’s.

There are trade offs in everything. I liked the ride of the 861/862’s, especially with BP51’s and 33’s. Even with 315’s. Almost no rub with 315’s and none with 33’s, nice low center of gravity, only a 2” lift max, it sucks sometimes jumping up in a big lifted DD. 🤷🏼‍♂️

But the 861/862’s are a bit noisy being stacked coils up top. The 862’s also can’t handle much weight, add a solid tire carrier and you got sag. So really if you are after stock height but are running front and rear bumpers plus sliders. They are probably going to be in that 1/2-3/4” lift height. More stock bumpers and so forth, even cloth and you get a solid 1.5-2” out of them.

Anyways, the 861/862 with a nice shock and a 33 or even a 35 is a great low lift combo. My truck killed it with this combo at high speed and crawling, paired with a BP51. Also kept it nice and low for climbing in the Cruiser daily and super stable off-road. Very comfy ride on the streets or highway. You got to adjust an adjustable shock like a BP51 though, to suit your likes and dislikes and find that ideal or “magic” spot just for you.

However, adding weight it sagged to much for me and I got tired of dragging the chassis over rocks with the kind of wheeling I like to do. For a light weight low lift build though, hard to beat the 861/862’s and some BP51’s or low lift Kings or Icons or whatever. OME caster bushings actually work with this lift! You don't need arms or plates, you don't need adjustable panhards or rear control arms. You don’t need to extend your sway bars or your brake lines. Your breathers are still to short though! 😂 You will not be disappointed with this setup if all you want to run is 33-35’s and do light to mild off-roading. This is the best all around low lift we have found and done extensive testing on but it is really only suited for light duty and performs best with a quality shock like the BP51 or Kings.

For stock height, we do stock coils and Tokicos in my shop. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Cheers

Last edited:
Currently I am on original coils, newish Tokico shocks, hacked-up factory front bumper, all plastic and removable bits removed from the rear, no flares, 1" body lift and running 33x10.5's. Planning on chopping the rockers for square tube sliders and fabbing a tube bumper for the rear (ala Broski's rig). I have the second and third row seats removed and have cloth front seats. Ultralight backpacker here and rock climber, so I am all about trimming the weight where I can without compromising intended function. I am looking to improve fire road and washboard road ride and handling. I also like to play in Moab. Next time I buy tires I was planning on moving up to 35's. Pretty sure I can fit them with no cutting (w/o flares, 1" body lift). I was planning on going with Dobinson's IMS shocks. Would it be worth it, in my case, to upgrade to something like the Dobinsons MRA shocks? Also, is it really necessary (obviously subjective) to run any caster correction with such a mild "lift"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom