Any Nor Cal trips coming up? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am new to the area and looking for some cruiserheads to make a low key run with. I am in Fairfield CA so something in the area would be great. I don't know where to go nor have I wheeled since I moved out here in June.

Let me know if some trips are coming up. Day trips are good too, short notice is fine! :D :cheers:

I'm in Fairfield also. Get in touch and we can arrange a wheeling trip. I'm a member of Pacific Mountain Cruisers.
Russ

Russ,

I was at the PMC swap and met a number of people in the area. Of course I didn't get any names or numbers. I have not joined PMC yet, no good reason not to other than I have been busy.

Lets get in touch, even a short day trip would be fun. There is one other guy I met who lives on base (travis) and has a nice 40 he is fixing up. If I see him around I will flag him down and maybe we can get a run together in the next month or two. :D

Home phone is 426-6535
email daniel.rohweder@60mdg.travis.af.mil

Talk to you soon.
Dan

31Dec2003 (UTC -8)

Here's a current e-mail on the http://groups.yahoo.com/group/80sCOOL_USA_NorCal
==============================================================
Death Valley Exploration Trip Feb 26-29

I finally got some time after the holidays to come up with a plan-so here it is. I have been there twice before but am by no means an expert on the area. I got the ideas from Roger Mitchell's book, and from my past trips in Goler Wash and Pleasant Canyon. If you have a better idea, share it. The bottom line: Death Valley is way too big to do more than scratch the surface in 4 days. A full week wouldn't do it justice, but since most of us work for a living 4 days is what there is. Plus, since this is Leap year, the 29th doesn't really count-at least that's what I told my wife. Panamint Springs is just outside the National Park boundry, and seems an appropriate place to start. It's really the last gas for many miles so again, a good place to begin.

Day 1-Feb 26th
Meet at the Panamint Springs resort. 8am for breakfast, 9am depart for the Big Four Mine. Mostly class 1 road, with some class IV near the mine. This is a 1/2 day out and back, with the chance of a nice hike to the summit of Lake Hill. I hope to eat lunch there on the way back from the mine. Gas up back at Panamint Resort.

The second 1/2 of the day drive to Ballarat(maybe 20 miles of pavement), and up Pleasant canyon and into Middle Park. This is a great trail, one moderately challenging part in Pleasant Canyon, with OUTSTANDING views of the entire Death Valley basin at the north end of Middle Park. There is one scary steep ascent on the way out. This area is about 7000 feet and may not be good for camping if it is cold or windy. Camp in Middle Park if nice, lower in Pleasant Canyon coming out if it isn't. If the weather really is bad, we won't make it to Middle Park, but there is a great place to camp in Pleasant Canyon.

Day 2-Feb 27th
Exit Pleasant Canyon, drive the short mining road to Goler Wash. Ascend the wash/slot canyon with lunch at Barker Ranch and the ghosts of the Manson gang. After lunch drive up and over Mengel Pass Lots of mining history to see and visit on the way up. Cresting Mengel Pass puts you in Death Valley proper-camp in Warm Springs Canyon on the way down.

Day 3-Feb 28th
This is a day to get up early and get on the road. Exit Warm Springs Canyon, going below sea level to hit pavement. North on the Pavement to Badwater, Furnace Creek, and Stovepipe wells back to Panamint Springs and a fuel stop. Then, north on Saline Valley road to Hidden Valley, Tea Kettle junction(bring a tea kettle to contribute) Lost Burro Gap and to the "Racetrack". Camp here or just past it at the top of the Lippencot Grade. The Racetrack is where the stones move across the dry lakebed (playa) by unknown forces, leaving tracks of their path across the lake. I've always wanted to see it, so I hope it lives up to expectations.

Day 4-Feb 29th
After the descent of the Lippencott Grade (a famous grade, but I've never heard of it!) if the gas supply looks good, we turn right into the Saline Valley-eventually back to the Owens Valley and 395 at Big Pine. That's close to 100 miles of dirt road so watch your gas guage! From Big Pine, it's a straight shot home. If any in the group are low on gas, we turn left after Lippencot grade and back to the highway and gas at Panamint Springs.

A few other thoughts:
-Bring lots of water. There is none to be had in this part of the world. I'm going alone and will have 7 gallons minimum.

-Be self contained. You need food, snacks and beverages for 4 days. There will be limited opportunity to resupply at Furnace Creek.

-Bring something to haul out your trash. Alvaro hates hauling your trash!

-Be flexible-If the weather turns cold windy or wet, we will have to change the plan. If it is really bad, we will have to stay in Panamint Valley and do day trips to low elevations. Or we could stay in a Park Campground and do day trips in Death Valley. I would much rather camp in the backcountry. This is a harsh environment though, and unpredictable in February.

-Bring warm clothes, coats for the kids etc. If we are lucky enough to camp in Middle Park, it will be very cold.

-Bring a box or two of firewood in case we can have a fire. I'm not sure of the regs in the National Park.

-Be ready to sleep in your truck. We are likely to encounter wind, cold, rain, snow, hail, tornadoes, pestelence, drunkeness, disease or bald face lies around the camp fire. Well, it could happen ; ).

-Gas-I'm not sure what to reccomend. We will probably be fine. I'm bringing an extra 5 gallon can for sure. If you have a roof rack 2-3 extra cans would be nice insurance for the group. The 3rd and 4th day will tax the fuel supply though, particularly if we can run through Saline Valley.

-Cell phones do not work out there.

-This trip is likely to be pretty easy on your Cruiser, but things change fast and I am not making any gaurentees that you won't break something. We will have to scout the Lippencott grade before driving it.

-I'm driving down on the 25th and staying at the Panamint Springs resort. http://www.deathvalley.com/reserve/reserve.shtml

Email me if you can go, or if you have questions.

Current List:
Me
Alvaro Rodriguez
Jim Brantley?
George Scolaro?
Dana Adams?
You?

Andrew Pollock
Sacramento CA

31Dec2003 (UTC -8)

Here's a date that's much more closer: Jan 17th Snow Run
============================================

I just thought I'd put out some info about the January 17th snow run. Of course, the weather could change the plan at the last minute. With that disclaimer in mind, this is what I had in mind.

Meet in Georgetown at 9am for breakfast. From there we proceed up Wentworth Springs Road to the snow. We go as far as we can toward Wentworth Springs, or even the backcountry camp. We can explore the side roads, go to Loon Lake if the road is open. I need to be on clear pavement headed for home at 3pm. I was going to offer dinner at my house that night but that plan has been nixed by the father/daughter dance at the highschool.

A second option to be considered if the weather is suspect is to go to Mormon Emmigrant trail just south of Pollock Pines. This is a very long snow covered road with endless side trails. Because the access is better, we should go here if it might snow.

A third option if the weather is really bad, is to meet at my place for brunch, then make the 20 minute trek to Prairie City Off-road park. If there is mud, they will come..Watching the mud boys is a very entertaining way to pass a few hours. Whether or not you go into the mud pits is up to you. Those innocent looking pits at Prairie city have in just the few times I have been there: destroyed Alvaros transfer case rear seal, overheated and caked with mud our own Seto's FZJ-80, and completely flooded the motor of a brand new TJ. (It served him right in my opinion-way too many beers, and little sense.) My own 80 nearly slid down the bank and overturned trying to get Seto out of the pit. Bottom line-fun, but use at your own risk. I'm staying out but will winch you if you get stuck.

Assuming the weather cooperates, Georgetown is about 2 1/2 hours form the Bay Area. Take I-80 to Auburn, south on 49 into the American River Canyon, up to Cool, left on 193 to Georgetown. Breakfast at the old hotel or nearby.

This should be a very easy trip appropriate for everyone. I have a winch, as does John Powers, but still, bring your common sense, your recovery gear, a shovel, lunch, and leave the booze at home. If you are really paranoid, bring a sleeping bag and some emergency food and water.

Let me know if you can go, and I'll keep a list. Include your phone # in case there are last minute changes in the plan.

Here is my current list:
Me and Jeff
Alvaro Rodriguez with Monica
John Powers
Steve Koire-my friend and new guy with a stock '03 100 series (be kind, it's his wife's car)
Jeff Kauffman?? and sons

Andrew Pollock
Sacramento CA

Well Drexx, thanks for quoting me so extensively! You may notice I included an extended visit to the Racetrack-just for you, so you better show. Bring your diesel for it's economy and you can tow anyone who runs out of fuel. Happy new year.

Drexx,

How far away is this place from Fairfield, CA? I am on call Friday so I'll be post that day but still might be able to make it if its close. I really need to get my rig off the asphalt! Here's to hoping!

Uhhhhhh....Drexx? Aren't you across the big pond now? Or do you return for NorCal trips?

As far as how far Georgetown is from Fairfield...you might get better info from mapquest, but it's about an hour or so from downtown Sacramento. Given that Fairfield is about 45 mins from Sac -- count on making it to Georgetown in about 2 hours. From Georgetown, it's anyone's guess as to how far we'd get.

Prolly the easiest way to get to G-town is to take Hwy 49 -- depending on which way you're coming -- it's between Auburn and Placerville -- follow the signs; should take you right there.

Theres also Frank Raines outside of patterson on I5. I heard it burned, but that the lower sections are open, anyone know for sure? I'll see if i can get out with you guys, It will be fun wheeling with you again Russ. I went on that rubicon trip with you a couple years ago.

FJ404.jpg

I'm following you.
Pat Kennedy
PMK

Hey Pat! Yeah I remember! Actually that's my dad in the 40. I'm the other Russ on the other side of the camera. But If I go I'm sure my dad will be there to.

What about a short run this sunday. I'm in Fairfield,CA?

That sounds like a great idea! We'll just have to see if my work agrees. I have a bad feeling I'm going to be on call though. It's kind of rough when you live to far from the trails. :'( . I think I need to relocate. I just don't think my wife would dig Alaska. :doh:

atoyot, I'd bet the farm on that one.

[quote author=UsGirlzNeedTLC2 link=board=4;threadid=8142;start=msg88173#msg88173 date=1073719070]
atoyot, I'd bet the farm on that one.
[/quote]

Somehow you stuck me as a farmers daughter :D

PMC Meeting this Thursday... the 15th, round table pizza, Marlow shopping center, santa rosa.

confirm Pillsbury Mud run date, probably 1st Feb weekend.
Covelo to Clear Lake in April, then things start getting busy.

Pat, Russ and Dan, hope you folks can make it over (but Pat has to get up wwwwway early)

dang,the death valley run sounds great! Better contact Andrew and find out whats up...

wish I had something that wasn't broke right now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom