Any members or shops in Morristown NJ area able to chime in on install of a Dakota RTX cluster into a '78? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I looked and there is a -5% chance I can do this alone or even with a pro, lol. A few high-end auto audio shops said they can but even with OEM wiring docs and RTX supplements, they just can't cap labor estimates. The resto shops were a non-starter for many reasons.

Could turn a $1,500 unit into a $1,000-$3,000 bill. $1,500 was a stretch so I may need to sell it, or sit on it - and I waited 7 mos for it. Any thoughts on this for electrically incompetent owners? Thx. I'm in Morristown NJ but realize I may need to drive a bit.

Tucker:
There is nothing particularly hard or challenging about doing a DD install. At first, the jumble of wires looks intimidating. But if you just go slow and follow the step-by-step instructions which are pretty straight forward you can do it. If you get bogged down, there is plenty of help here. It is extremely gratifying when you get to the finish line and everything works as it should.

Tucker:
There is nothing particularly hard or challenging about doing a DD install. At first, the jumble of wires looks intimidating. But if you just go slow and follow the step-by-step instructions which are pretty straight forward you can do it. If you get bogged down, there is plenty of help here. It is extremely gratifying when you get to the finish line and everything works as it should.
great! thx for that note.

I looked and there is a -5% chance I can do this alone or even with a pro, lol. A few high-end auto audio shops said they can but even with OEM wiring docs and RTX supplements, they just can't cap labor estimates. The resto shops were a non-starter for many reasons.

Could turn a $1,500 unit into a $1,000-$3,000 bill. $1,500 was a stretch so I may need to sell it, or sit on it - and I waited 7 mos for it. Any thoughts on this for electrically incompetent owners? Thx. I'm in Morristown NJ but realize I may need to drive a bit.

You can do it! The directions are very good. An "electrically incompetent" person should be able to plan on a full day to install and have it done. So easy even a Jersyite can do it. Haha

The urge to just get something done and have someone else do it is real. That said, unless you have someone who really knows FJ40's it can mean you have to rework what someone else did. Kenny Deans is a great place 609-660-0088 - 305 US-9, Waretown, NJ 08758 is a great shop. They did a lot of work on my 67FJ40 and all the work was top notch. They are always willing to get on a call and discuss a project. Good luck!

The urge to just get something done and have someone else do it is real. That said, unless you have someone who really knows FJ40's it can mean you have to rework what someone else did. Kenny Deans is a great place 609-660-0088 - 305 US-9, Waretown, NJ 08758 is a great shop. They did a lot of work on my 67FJ40 and all the work was top notch. They are always willing to get on a call and discuss a project. Good luck!
Thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom