Any input on heat-shrink style hose clamps? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I saw a thread awhile back indicating a few guys were using (or thinking about) the heat-shrink hose clamps - Gates PowerGrip, etc.

I installed all new generic screw-type hose clamps this past summer and they've worked great until I drove back home to MT this month and found some freezing temps for the first time in a year. Now all of my clamps are leaking. Simple enough to tighten them a bit but I don't like the idea of them working loose and leaking on their own.

Any good/bad experience with these heat-shrink clamps?
Thanks

The original Toyota double wire hose clamps don't leak.

Heat shrink clamps seem like a loser to me. What do you do if one of those starts leaking?

These are even better (stainless steel)

image.jpeg

Stainless Steel Double Wire Hose Clamp Pack for Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FJ60

I must have these SS clamps. Have so
The original Toyota double wire hose clamps don't leak.

Heat shrink clamps seem like a loser to me. What do you do if one of those starts leaking?

These are even better (stainless steel)

View attachment 1395734
Stainless Steel Double Wire Hose Clamp Pack for Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FJ60

I must have these SS clamps. SO glad you posted this. Never saw this on ebay and I just got a new license plate light assembly from this seller.

Haaaa :D
Confession = as I was creating this thread and asking about the aftermarket hose clamps I had a prediction that OS would respond and bring the wayward newbie back to the path of OEM!!!
Don't know why I tend to look for something different or "better" ...more often than not I end up having to correct whatever it is that I changed away from OEM design.
Those SS clamps look nice (and supporting another MUD vendor always brings good Cruiser-karma). Thanks for the link :beer:

In defense of modern clamps, any 'constant tension' clamp (like modern Toyotas have) can work well at -10F and 95F ambient temps. The old tried-and-true wire clamps work well, but can weep on very cold days. There is a reason that Toyota doesn't use them now.

I have heard of the Gates PowerGrip clamp for years, but no one sells them. And, I would just carry a few spare conventional hose clamps in my truck, should I use those. I agree that a hose clamp that requires a heat gun to install it would not be ideal in the field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom