Any info on my Aux. Fuel tank? see pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The side pic shows the filler neck sticking out the drivers side. The pic of the rear heater shows the switch from front to rear tanks. It looks like it was installed several years ago.

I bought the cruiser from a guy who bought a house and the cruiser came with the house. He had no interest in the cruiser so he put it up for sale. So not being the original owner, he has no idea about the history of it. I'm trying to track down the previous owner.

I have yet to fill the tank and see if it works. Any info would be appreciated.
4.JPG

Could it be a switch to a pump that would pump gas from one tank to the other. If it's a valve it's probably just a matter of switching from one tank to the other. But more pics of the underneath would help.

Ditto. Downey offers a similar setup for the NWMP tanks they sell. That looks like at old school version of it. May be home home grown version of it too.

Might check with 65swb45. If it's a commercial type conversion he's probly seen it.

I had that same valve in an old bronco I had . It worked and also functions as a shut off in one position. Don't suck @&@&@&@& into carb , you will regret , check gas by pulling hose from aux. tank to valve and see what comes out , fill it some , shake @&@&@&@& outa truck and repeat . If it is clean then fire it up , switch valve , and see if she keeps runnin. Trust the old valve.

I haven't had a opportunity to realy dig into it yet. I've only had it about 10 days. Definitely won't try the tank until I have a chance to inspect it. It looks like the frame nounted fuel filter was bypassed at some point. There is a newer looking filter where the fuel line comes into the engine bay.

In my experience there are two popular ways to rig up an extra tank.

1. has a switch to change which tank is feeding the carb.

2. the switch activates a seperate fuel pump to transfer gas from the AUX tank into the stock tank.

If you can find a seloniod (?) somewhere with three gas lines attached (two for intake, stock and aux) and one for the feed line (goes to carb you have the first setup as described.

If you have an inline transfer pump, I woud guess it would be for the second setup.

Track the "valve" to the tank and see where it goes.

OH, and happy new cruiser! It looks nice.

Rezarf <><

That is a mechanical switching valve. Probably has the line from the seat tank to one side, and a line from the aux tank on the other side, with a third line inbetween the two that goes to the fuel pump. Not seeing the tank itself makes it hard to judge, but looking at the fuel cap height on the side I am guessing it is an older confer tank, sold buy maf and downey in the 80's. Is the fuel line from the tank in the center at the bottom? If it is, does the line connect at the front of the tank or at the back? Most all the old confer tanks filled from the passanger side, with the line connected in the front. If the line is connected in the rear, than the tank was put in backwards. Would like to see a bottom carriage picture of the tank.

When I bought my cruiser I had the exact same thing in it with a tank in the back of the cruiser...its just a valve that switches the tanks..

Looks like one that just switches the suction tube from the fuel pump back and forth between tanks. That switch will have a valve under the floor with three hoses, one from each tank and one from the fuel pump. As simple and workable as it can be. The valve will look similar to an OEM heater valve.
VERY common aftermarket setup used in lots of pickup trucks owner installed, and the Ford OEM setup was very similar up until the early 80's. A fancy version would switch the fuel sender lead to your guage too, but that was optional.

Biggest problem would be leaking either because of rotting old fuel line or bad seals in the switch.

If you decide to try turning that handle do it slowly and don't force it or it could snap off. Good idea to soak it with WD40 or Liquid wrench or the like before trying to switch it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom