Any ideas as to what is leaking? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
As of recently, my 87 FJ60 has been marking it's spot in the driveway. Based upon the pictures, does anyone have any pointers as to what might be leaking? I hope I didn't damage the xfer case by driving it low of oil.

Thanks,
Zack

lc l 1.jpg

lc l 2.jpg

lc l 3.jpg

lc l 4.jpg

lc l 5.jpg

Its probably just the oil seal weeping a bit. Check for any free play (up and down) in the flange.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Ok thanks! So changing that would involve removing the drive shaft...and what else? This is uncharted water for me....is there anything special to do when removing the drive shaft?

First read the FSM.
Matchmark ends of shaft to flange on transfer.
Replace bolts? Other things 'while your there'?

Removing the drive shaft slip yoke grease zerk can make compressing and installing the driveshaft easier.

There's lots of things you "could" do while your in there (like rebuild the whole thing), but just replacing that seal and the bearing retainer gasket should stop the leak.... If there isn't too much slop in flange. But it would be a very good thing to at least check the output shaft bearing preload before removing the flange.

Use a small disk grinder to make a thorough mark on the drive shaft because a marker pen stripe will be lost/mia.

You need some "Ï thought I had them but where" (straight not bend) long wrenches to access the bolt and nuts in the drive shaft (they can be tough)

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

clean and degrease well or thread will be filled with crap, this is transfercase side:
file.php

diff side needs two wrenches:
file.php

file.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom