1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any idea where I can buy clear hole spacers?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by treerootCO, Aug 11, 2005.

1. treerootCO

treerootCO Where are my keys?! SILVER Star

I have a few quotes from different places but I am looking for something cheaper. The higher price is probably because the spacers they sell are a higher tolerence. I don't really need it to be exact. I am looking for round stock 3/4-5/8 x 3/4 with a 3/8 hole. I bought some pipe and cut spacers out of it but that took a long time.

This site shows about what I am looking for. The quotes I recieved were about 2.50 each.

http://www.accuratescrew.com/CatalogPage.aspx?ProdCat=SPCCLHR
    or
    http://bakertubular.com/index.htm

Mild steel, no finish...

2. treerootCO

bakertubular can't make them thick enough...got another quote at 5.77, still too high. Aluminum ones are only .20 each so steel has to be out there somewhere.

3. cruzer

cruzer

The reason AL ones are cheap is because they use and extrusion die and just pump out the "tube" and cut it off to lenght...makes it very inexpensive to make. How many do you need? you could maybe get a job shop to make some for you...if the quantity is high enough the price will be low. Mcmastercar.com has some but they are 5.03 from 1-9 pieces and 10 or more is 4.27.

Stew

4. treerootCO

thanks for the info. Best quote now is 2.00 each. Any more ideas? I figure there is something out there that will work. Maybe a plumbing supply house has something.

5. informationjunky

informationjunky

Albums:
    Did you check McMaster for the base stock size tube? NEVER MIND, I should read before I type.

6. BMAN

BMAN

Media:
    Albums:
    How many do you need? You did this already with stock pipe and didn't like the time it took? Do you still have the stock pipe? If so take it down to a machine shop with a lathe and see what they'll charge ya to whack em off to length. Too bad you're not in Phoenix. Kevin at Tools'r'us has a lathe and would prolly hook ya up for a good price if ya had the stock here. ROAD TRIP!

7. treerootCO

I have the pipe and can cut them but it takes a long time. I was hoping to get a bucket of 1000 spacers or so at maybe .50 each. The machine shop quotes are all in the 5 dollar each range.

Napa sells spacers for wheel calipers and spacers for alternators so I am looking into that. Maybe someone big like GM has a machine shop making tons of these and I can get in on their pricing because it wouldn't be a limited run but more of a production run.

8. scottm

scottm

Media:
    Albums:
    If I had your pipe here I would set up our cold saw with a stop, just feed and chop 'em, 1000 would take maybe a couple hours 'cause I'm slow. The cold saw is like a slow chop-saw with coolant, it makes a nice finish, acurate and square. Many machine shops have a chop saw like ours, and many could use a little filler job like this. I made a couple hundred hardened pins like that a couple months ago.