1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any HVAC experts on here?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by lacruiser, Aug 13, 2006.

1. lacruiser

lacruiser

I'm having a couple of issues with my system, and I'd like to ask a couple of questions of someone who knows something about these things

thanks

Dana

fj40dana@hotmail.com

2. my64fj40

my64fj40

Just post your questions up so you can get a good variety of answers.

I can help you a bit and IIRC trollhole can also

3. Trollhole

Trollhole THC Supporting Vendor Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
  4. lacruiser

lacruiser

OK, here goes

The system is a 20 year-old central htg/AC unit, mfgd by Rheem , the tags say:

Rheem Furnace (built 1985) 60,000 BTU

Model RGDD-06NC-ER
    S/N GN3D202-F1586 4863

A/C sticker says:

Model; RCABA0 43775N 42,000 BTU
    S/N 4/4-9034

And thermostat on the wall is a Honeywell Chronotherm, there's a
    paper tag inside that says

T8085A 1095

There's two different issues with this system:

There are 2 controls on the Thermostat:

Fan switch: On and Auto positions

Main switch: Heat, Off, Cool positions.

Normally, when the system is off the fan switch is left in the Auto position and the other switch is Off. Lately, we've noticed that the blower fan will come on by itself when the switches are in these positions. The AC compressor is not on. If I turn the Fan switch from Auto to On, the fan speed picks up a tiny bit. It's like there's a ghost in the system that turns on the blower motor when the system is switched off. Never done this before.

If I turn on the AC by moving the 2nd switch from Off to Cool, everything is normal.

2nd problem occurs during winter months, with the furnace.

If We switch on the furnace by turning the switch to heat, the gas control valve will normally click and the furnace will fire up and everything is fine. After a minute or two the blower comes on, the system is fine.

Sometimes the valve will click spasmodically, like it's posessed. It will click for awhile, I can hear the flame start up, then immediately go off. this can happen for a few minutes, then the system works fine. Other times it keeps going haywire for a long time and never works and I give up and shut the system off.

Then, it works fine for a week or two, then it goes haywire again. The problem is intermittent. If it would simply fail, I could test the components and fix, but it's intermittent.

Other than these two odd problems, the system works great.

Any help/suggestions for either of these problems is greatly appreciated.

5. Trollhole

Trollhole THC Supporting Vendor Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    First of all a gas furnace should not be serviced unless your an HVAC certified tech. If that is the case;) I would check all connections. A twenty year old system has a tendancy to develop corrosion around the terminals for the 24v system due to exposed copper and vibrations. Second it sounds like your thermostat is going. years is a long time with a fan controlled furnace. Other than this I cannot give you any more tips as I cannot see it for myself.

Good luck.

6. trainrech

trainrech SILVER Star

Ditto on the thought of the thermostat going out. Off should be off.

Sounds like the igniter on your furnace isn't functioning properly. Our 8 year old Lennox Pulse did the same thing last fall. Had it serviced and it ended up being a cleaning issue (not sure of the part). My suggestion is bite the bullet and have it professionally serviced.

We've since gone on a planned maintenance plan - they come out in spring and fall to check either the AC or the Furnace.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">