Any hints to find an 06/07 lc or lx? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking for a 100 series myself - and gotta ask when I hear "have cash ready" are you guys literally showing up to take a look at these vehicles with +/- $10K cash in your pocket?

With the internet full of scammers and criminals - meeting an unknown person with that much cash on hand just seems like a really bad idea.
I don't plan on going alone with 20k in my pock
06-07 had updated brakes? Did I read that correctly? In what way?

The Brake Control System was updated (ABS with EBD, Brake Assist, A-TRAC and VSC System).

I took this from the site i posted

IMO, cash is really only useful for the full purchase price if you're going to use it as a negotiating tool. When I bought my AMG, I had 3-4 envelopes on me with various amounts in each. I made my initial offer with the first, fattest envelope, then went from there as we negotiated. Sometimes, seeing the cash in person can be appealing to a seller.

Having said that, if I'm the seller, I couldn't care less whether it comes in check or cash form. One requires me to go to the bank to deposit and it's in my account right away. The other allows me to deposit via app and it's in the account in 2 business days. Either way, I receive the same net.

I don't plan on going alone with 20k in my pock

The Brake Control System was updated (ABS with EBD, Brake Assist, A-TRAC and VSC System).

I took this from the site i posted

I could be wrong, but I don't think there was anything special about the brakes in the 06+. If there was, it's certainly never been mentioned that I've seen as any kind of benefit. In fact, the 06+ models are the only 100s that feature a really cool air pump that is prone to failure. So, you actually get an extra layer of potential failure over the earlier models. My '05 has ATRAC, VSC, etc.

Craigslist is still king of "good deals", IMO, because it's the easiest way to list something. That means people that care the least about getting the most cash for their car will post there. It's also the most risky.

This. I like to say it's a 95/5 platform. 95% total crap or folks that have pipe dreams of getting top dollar for crap, and 5% absolute gem and they are just trying to get rid of it easiest path possible. But as @suprarx7nut points out, it also carries the highest risk. Trust your instincts. Believe but VERIFY.

My hundy was perfect. Found on CL across the country but it was the exact match in every way. If the person is legit and honest, a simple conversation to clearly lay out your intentions and expectations can mean the difference between getting what you target or not. And in via phone call, not emails, etc. This can buy you the time you need to arrange what you need to so to close the deal on agreed terms, instead of rushing and making a mistake along the way. When the PO listed his on CL, I was early to reach out because I was stalking search tempest, and after discussing with him and building rapport I was bumped to 1st and got everything done from a PPI perspective and make travel plans, too. Then we flew out 4 weeks later to transact. He could've sold it sooner, but we both knew our positions at every step of the way and by the time we got there, no surprises.

Take your time, but hawk the f*k out of every possible sale channel.

Last edited:
If you buy from a (reputable) dealer, don't rule out financing there. This is when cash does NOT help you. If you've done a great job negotiating, the dealer may be more interested in the back end - the money they'll make on financing. Most dealers can beat your bank or credit union. They are "volume buyers" - and get/give better rates. But to beat the now pulverized horse, we just mean ready to jump... 'cause that 100 is likely being scoped out by 25 other dudes across the country while you're taking time to "think about it."

But to beat the now pulverized horse, we just mean ready to jump... 'cause that 100 is likely being scoped out by 25 other dudes across the country while you're taking time to "think about it."
Also known as s*** or get off the pot

In Sept 2016 I bought my 2001 because it was advertised as gray. I lived southwest of Chicago at the time and was in Madison Wi looking at an 80 series as a project vehicle that was junk and saw the 01 posted that morning. Drove from there to Cincinnati and bought it. Sold it when I found out it wasn’t gray but green (I am ocd with vehicles) and flew to Florida six months after buying the 01 to buy an 07. Paid $25,500 full asking price for all maintenance and 103k miles. It took me a solid three months of non-stop searching to find it.

Still have it and have probably sunk almost $50,000 more into it. I’ll be buried in it. But no rust at all and I have replaced nearly everything that I am able to minus drivetrain.

Facebook marketplace is the new craigslist, and it’s easier to use/list things for sale. It’s also convenient to profile creep and weed out scammers. I’ve sold many vehicles/items on marketplace, it’s much more active than craigslist and there’s plenty of lazy people posting up good stuff that they just want gone. I very rarely waste time on craigslist anymore and it used to be a daily ritual for me to look for good deals, it’s just not a great place to look anymore.

Facebook marketplace is the new craigslist, and it’s easier to use/list things for sale. It’s also convenient to profile creep and weed out scammers. I’ve sold many vehicles/items on marketplace, it’s much more active than craigslist and there’s plenty of lazy people posting up good stuff that they just want gone. I very rarely waste time on craigslist anymore and it used to be a daily ritual for me to look for good deals, it’s just not a great place to look anymore.
I agree man. I don’t have Facebook but Craigslist is crap these days. 9/10 people don’t even bother responding and never send any additional pics, especially if you’re out of state.

When asking for undercarriage pics, my favorite response is when these lazy bastards say “I need to put the car on a lift to take those pics and I have no time”. Unless you’re physically disabled, you do not need a freaking lift to snap a few cellphone pics of the undercarriage, literally takes 2 minutes tops.

USA LX/LC sales:

14,690 2006-2007
30,019 2004-2005
15,832 2003

06-07 are generally the most expensive & sought after. And they are the most rare. I was surprised to learn there are 3x the amount of 03-05 than 06-07. 10-20% maybe in rust areas, damaged, etc.

My hint: plan on searching for 3-6 months. When you find one, be happy to pay the premium they command.

That's why you show up with cash in one pocket and a gun in the other.

But for simplicity's sake, I think most sellers would allow a reasonable deposit with the stipulation that the balance would be paid within X hours. Transferring funds is so easy today, you don't really need to bring all dolla dolla bills.

Additionally, if you've been corresponding with a seller properly, you should have a good feeling of their legitimacy, especially for an enthusiast's type of vehicle. They'll be pretty forthcoming because they're not selling an appliance, they're selling their hobby.

We were picking up a 2000 LX ($4k, 277k) from a pre-purchase inspection (it needed Tbelt, Water pump, sunroof, rack and bushings, exhaust manifold, brake pads and rotors and a bunch of small stuff) when we saw a 2006 LX ($14.5k, 203k) that was just posted to our credit union’s car buying service site at a dealer 1 mile from our house. We actually drove the ‘00 to go test drove the ‘06! We returned the ‘00 and went right back to get the ‘06. Impeccable service records via the Lexus website and immaculate condition was definitely worth not having the get the ‘00 up and running. The added HP is noticeable. I’ve actually been surprised with the mpg as we’ve only taken up to the mountains in the three weeks we’ve had it and it’s gotten ~16.5 mpg. So, long story short, I can see why someone would focus on 06-07 only.

I just looked on the Lexus website and it looks like it has an impeccable service record always at the dealer every 3-7k.

Has any forum member bought an LC/LX from Ebay?

Yep 2x. That was about 8-10 years ago. Not as good these days to get a good price on ebay but actually don't look there much anymore.

Yep 2x. That was about 8-10 years ago. Not as good these days to get a good price on ebay but actually don't look there much anymore.

Nice! I bought a car on eBay 20 years ago when they first started selling cars :D
Someone mentioned BringATrailer in another thread. It also has very clean LC/LX from time to time, but the price is definitely on the high end.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom