any harm driving without the front drive shaft? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had the rear shaft out and cleaned and lubed the slip joint and lobed the u joint. Also cleant the outside of 20 Yeats of crap. Got it installed no problem. We'll one problem. I started thinking might as well disassemble the front also...right. Well got the front out and cleaned. Noticed one of the u joint would only move on one axis. I have no idea how I didn't have a bad vibe. I got it free with lots of lube and cleaning but it is notchy as hell in that one axis. So I figure I should replace both u joints on that shaft.

Problem is I need to drive cross coumtry in 10 days. I am 3 hours from the closest real town with a dealership so logistics are tough. I could get the u joints from the dealer or Beno. Then drive the 3 hours and see if someone can press them in that day. The important question is if I lock my center diff is there any problem at all with driving around on just the rear for a week or so? Second minor question is there anything unusual about pressing in the toyota u joints or should any rural country bumpkin shop be able to do it? Third silly question the front shaft had lock washers and was a BITCH to get off. The rear had flat washers. Is that normal?

PS on Oct 1 I am heading out to salt lake city to the museum. I could even have them installed then there if there is a jam up shop in SLC or something if it is OK to wait. But after that I head to moab. So I need a front drive shaft for sure then.

Also, how hard or how wrong is it to replace the u joint with just a hammer and shockers as drifts?

Last edited:
no harm in doins that but you wont go anywhere unless you have a way to lock your center diff

Ctr diff locked and you will be fine. Just be aware it drives a little different.

Socket and a hammer is preferred method in bfe.....if you have the right sized sockets on board. I dont think there is anything unusual about the procedure if you can find a shop though.

Also could you call ahead to schedule something in utah? Where is @cruiseroutfit in relation to your traveling direction?

Another option would be to have it replaced in moab. Youll pay tourist prices though unless you hunt down srandard non 4x4 mechanic shop.

I've changed quit a few with hammer and vice, and few using hammer and socket takes bout 30 min, never used a press.

I've driven my 80 maybe 20,000 miles with the front driveshaft out, center diff locked, no issues at all. It handles more like a rear wheel drive vehicle with the front shaft out, no torque steer. You don't need to install the diff lock switch, just start the vehicle, shift the transfer case to LO, two orange lights should come on left instrument cluster, ABS and Diff Lock indicating the CDL is engaged. Then turn the vehicle off leaving the transfer case in LO. Remove the Diff Lock fuse from the lower dash fuse box then shift the transfer case to HI. Now your center diff is locked (but in HI) and it will stay locked until you reinstall the Diff Lock fuse.

I've driven my 80 maybe 20,000 miles with the front driveshaft out, center diff locked, no issues at all. It handles more like a rear wheel drive vehicle with the front shaft out, no torque steer. You don't need to install the diff lock switch, just start the vehicle, shift the transfer case to LO, two orange lights should come on left instrument cluster, ABS and Diff Lock indicating the CDL is engaged. Then turn the vehicle off leaving the transfer case in LO. Remove the Diff Lock fuse from the lower dash fuse box then shift the transfer case to HI. Now your center diff is locked (but in HI) and it will stay locked until you reinstall the Diff Lock fuse.

I always learn new things everyday!

Thanks for sharing some knowledge, obviously I'm no Sherlock!

I drove around for a year with the front diff and drive shaft removed. Like you said, you'll need to keep the center diff locked, but that will become immediately apparent as you lose power to the wheels as soon as you unlock it. It's all back together now, but I made several 600 mile trips with no issues.

To answer your question: yes, you can drive around without a front drive shaft and not worry too much about damaging your truck. My truck is still going strong - except for a rough idle which I believe is a bad plug or wire.

Thanks guys. I actually got the old u joints out and cleaned the parts up. Now just waiting for new parts.

I am heading out to the Bridger Tetons for some exploring in a a hour. No ajenda or schedule. Just hope I don't forget about no 4wd. I am so used to just going wherever I want on whatever trail I find. But I would imagine with the rear locker it should still be pretty good.

FYI - there are 2 good driveshaft places in Utah that I know about personally (tom woods obviously for the best) or Driveshafts utah (for quick turnaround, good work and prices). There are probably others. Best of luck, wave as you pass through.

Good evening mud :flipoff2:
I couldn't find a post on driving without a rear drive shaft I'm curious about hunting down some vibration issues.

Any advice and driving of 80 series Land Cruiser without a rear shaft for short distance

Good evening mud :flipoff2:
I couldn't find a post on driving without a rear drive shaft I'm curious about hunting down some vibration issues.

Any advice and driving of 80 series Land Cruiser without a rear shaft for short distance
Lock the CDL and drive it all you like.

I have 93 FZJ80. It’s tripled locked. Is there anything I need to do to drive without the front driveshaft?

thanks

I have 93 FZJ80. It’s tripled locked. Is there anything I need to do to drive without the front driveshaft?

thanks
You could read the thread you posted in.

You have a unicorn 80

I‘ve been under my 80 most of the day getting ready to pull a low mileage motor and trans to do an LS2 conversion. I see now I skipped over the lo switch part.

thanks for your help...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom