Any half bumper (slimline/ winch) options for the 200? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is going to sound flippant, but it isn't meant to: you could always buy and build a 4Runner. They seem to be pretty capable, and already have much better aftermarket support, including these half bumpers.

This is going to sound flippant, but it isn't meant to: you could always buy and build a 4Runner. They seem to be pretty capable, and already have much better aftermarket support, including these half bumpers.
Not at all.. that's why I still have both :)

Tempted to build the cruiser and sell the 4Runner.. just not fully decided on it yet.

1625576697065.png

Check my sig. Already have a built up 5th gen 4R with front and rear bumpers. Which is why when cross referencing 5th gen vs 200 series aftermarket parts its quite obvious that there is a lack of options for the 200. Same goes for comparing the 200 vs the 80/100 series as well, lots more choices for the 80/100. I get it though, with the 200 series only selling about 3000 units a year there's not much incentive for fab shops to design and produce 200 series parts. More fruit when you build 5th gen parts for a vehicle that sells 125k units a year.

Check my sig. Already have a built up 5th gen 4R with front and rear bumpers. Which is why when cross referencing 5th gen vs 200 series aftermarket parts its quite obvious that there is a lack of options for the 200. Same goes for comparing the 200 vs the 80/100 series as well, lots more choices for the 80/100. I get it though, with the 200 series only selling about 3000 units a year there's not much incentive for fab shops to design and produce 200 series parts. More fruit when you build 5th gen parts for a vehicle that sells 125k units a year.
Sorry, I can't see signatures in the iphone app, but I agree 100% with your comment about sales volume and vendor support. My pragmatic self says if aftermarket support is that important, build a vehicle with better aftermarket support rather than complain about the lack of vendor support on this platform. To each his or her own though.

Sorry, I can't see signatures in the iphone app, but I agree 100% with your comment about sales volume and vendor support. My pragmatic self says if aftermarket support is that important, build a vehicle with better aftermarket support rather than complain about the lack of vendor support on this platform. To each his or her own though.
So usually you have the proverbial: Get it Fast, Doesn't Cost A Lot, Is a Quality Part - Pick 2.

Due to the boutique or import nature of most parts available for the 200 here in the US its going to Cost a lot, Take a long time, but usually have good quality as well (so i'ts basically pick one.)

I just think of it as the 200 Tax. You've got pay to play. Want a s***-ton of parts availability go get a 4R, Taco or a Jeep.

I wouldn't say that we're complaining, rather just making a 200 series wish list. Hopefully with the 200 series phasing out and more people buying and using their 200's for off-roading that will open up some more options and that's never a bad thing. I'm not endorsing the 200 series ever having the Jeep led halo's or angry eyes either, those aren't the options I'm pining for :D

Sales numbers are a huge factor in the options that are available. If 5% of 4Runner owners want aftermarket bumpers and 15% of LC owners want the same, the market is still much larger for the 4Runner. I don’t know world wide sales numbers for the LC200 series, but I have a hunch it would still be quite a bit smaller than 4Runner sales.

Regarding color matching, it’s a lot easier to patch scratches on a plain black bumper than a color matched bumper, so there’s definitely a practical advantage there.

The instructor was definitely right about the hidden and wireless winch issues. But you have to factor your personal situation into the equation. If you have the winch for occasional “just in case” use, the negatives are less important than if you go off road all the time and get stuck (or need to recover someone) frequently.

The winch can be mounted behind the stock bumper. Refer to the Trail Tailor Hidden winch mount or new on market SDHQ Hidden mount.

The winch can be mounted behind the stock bumper. Refer to the Trail Tailor Hidden winch mount or new on market SDHQ Hidden mount.
Googled it earlier.. looks nice for a winch, but not sure if it can take any hits without getting stuck or breaking something

What most are missing in these aftermarket bumpers is function and FORM. The reason why the half bumpers are so popular is because they look great and follow the lines of the OEM bumper. Granted they do lack several aspects of the FUNCTION of that type of bumper but they FORM is there.
The current crop of bumpers lack any kind of form to make the vehicle look attractive the other 85% of the time you aren't crawling over rocks.
The second someone designs a bumper that follows function AND form, performs well and is attractive to look at, they will have a hit.

Some will argue that beauty is in the eye of the beholder however; when the lines of the vehicle aren't congruent, when it doesn't conform to the golden ratio, it doesn't mesh with original design language and looks out of place.

Has no one thought to design a bumper that looks like the original design that offers better approach angles?
Guarantee they would have a hit of they could just shave 2-4 inches off the corners and front end, same with the rear bumper.
Would it kill them to color match with the rest of the vehicle considering how much they already charge for just bare metal?

Don't the color matched ones look so much better?
Agree, and color match is most definitely the way to. I did that to my previous 200 and it made the ARB safari bumper less noticeable.

I hate to be a Debby Downer but It's never going to happen, at least not on a commercial scale. The numbers just don't add up and these full plastic front ends don't lend themselves to easy bumper development the way that a traditional bumper does such as those on domestic pickup trucks. I too would love a low-profile winch bumper that flowed with the factory lines and was made out of aluminum to keep the weight down but sadly Dissent's offering is probably the closest we will ever get to it and I myself am not a fan of how it looks. I hate adding all the weight of a full bull bar bumper but I am also not opposed due to their protection benefits from animal strikes which is a very real and common occurrence down here where we live and commute. For me the front bumper is at the bottom of my mods list because of the current offerings and likely will remain that way.

I hate to be a Debby Downer but It's never going to happen, at least not on a commercial scale. The numbers just don't add up and these full plastic front ends don't lend themselves to easy bumper development the way that a traditional bumper does such as those on domestic pickup trucks. I too would love a low-profile winch bumper that flowed with the factory lines and was made out of aluminum to keep the weight down but sadly Dissent's offering is probably the closest we will ever get to it and I myself am not a fan of how it looks. I hate adding all the weight of a full bull bar bumper but I am also not opposed due to their protection benefits from animal strikes which is a very real and common occurrence down here where we live and commute. For me the front bumper is at the bottom of my mods list because of the current offerings and likely will remain that way.

A color matched Rhino, particularly on 2016+, sounds exactly like what you described. @mcgaskins previous rig "Ruby" set the bar for a "low-profile winch bumper that flowed with the factory lines and was made out of aluminum to keep the weight down". Photo credit to @JohnJB as published in the Ruby build thread.

149aca5b-836b-4362-a841-cae469b1341e-jpeg.1977319

Last edited:
A color matched Rhino, particularly on 2016+, sounds exactly like what you described. @mcgaskins previous rig "Ruby" set the bar for a "low-profile winch bumper that flowed with the factory lines and was made out of aluminum to keep the weight down". Photo credit to @JohnJB as published in the Ruby build thread.

The one exception.

Looks like rhino 4x4 of Africa have, within the past couple weeks, posted photos of this bumper on a 2008-2011 lx570.

anyone know if there’s an easy way to get one in the United States?

Is that Rhino bumper a full bumper replacement with part of it color matched to the vehicle color or does it somehow just replace the middle of the factory bumper? I'm hoping / assuming it's a full bumper replacement. Either way, it looks really nice, but obviously still has the inherent issues that come with a hidden winch (which shouldn't be a huge issue for occasional use).

Is that Rhino bumper a full bumper replacement with part of it color matched to the vehicle color or does it somehow just replace the middle of the factory bumper? I'm hoping / assuming it's a full bumper replacement. Either way, it looks really nice, but obviously still has the inherent issues that come with a hidden winch (which shouldn't be a huge issue for occasional use).
It's a color matched full bumper replacement

Here's Rhino 4x4's posted LX570. Pretty good. Not as good as the customized Rhino Bumper that was sold here in classified earlier this year.

C6EC3AE3-B414-4A4E-80C3-DD599D946050.jpeg

21F47500-8116-4B40-8B1F-2165B27086AB.jpeg

LX570 Built in Colorado (I think) Link. You can see all the tweaks he did to make the lines of the grill match up with the lines of the bumper.

1626183951216.jpeg

Did that LX finally sell? I know they pulled the listing last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom