Any guidance for rear lower control arm R&R? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
I need to replace two bent up rear lower control arms with some straight used ones, and will be installing turbo8 skids and Trail Tailor RLCA mount skids at the same time.

I've never pulled a RLCA off, so am looking for guidance, tips, tricks, gotchas, and that sort of thing.

A search didn't get me much, and I'm hoping it is because it is so easy and straightforward. :)

I've never done anything to my rear suspension yet, but here is the thread I will use when the time comes. For an LX, but the RLCA should be the same.

do one side at a time . . . a jack under the pumpkin aids greatly in lining up for reassembly, and can help take pressure off for disassembly.

Keep your bracket alignment as close as possible and you should be fine. A large pry bar helps should it get out of alignment.

a ratchet strap from the axle tied to the mid frame (per side being worked on) area isn't a bad idea incase your axle wants to rotate or seperate bit.

I did this today, and it couldn't possibly have been easier.

I followed the guidance here and fsm directions about putting a jack under the rear axle, but I'm not sure it was necessary.

It was as simple as removing the RLCA one at a time and replacing them.

Two bolts (19mm) and nuts (22mm) each side.

The driver side was easier since I could use my electric impact - the pasenger side didn't have as much room (Budbuilt fuels skid was in the way of the front nut), so I used a breaker bar and ratchet.

I used a ratchet strap to help align the passenger side, and the driver side bolts dropped right in.

I installed new (takeoff) control arms, Turbo8 control arm skids, and Trail Tailor lower control arm skids all at the same time. It was easier to save up parts and do them all at once.

I installed the Turbo8 skids on the bench before installing the arm.

Like a lot of things, it took more time pre-planning and posting about it than it did to do the job. :)

F40C0CA4-EA27-4370-A9F0-282AB2505FD5.jpeg

Last edited:
I just did the same thing. Now I'm looking for the torque specs for the control arm bolts. My FSM has stopped working for some reason.

I just did the same thing. Now I'm looking for the torque specs for the control arm bolts. My FSM has stopped working for some reason.
111 ft lbs

111 ft lbs
Whoa. I saw that on an online thing and wasn’t sure. I got the nuts off with just normal wrenches. I'm stronger than I think!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom