Any good repair shop near evanston Illinois? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, my son's 1996 FJ80 just got towed to a toyota dealership because of a no start. They just quoted me $424 for a discontinued started cable (8212260191) PLUS $200 labor and then $495 in labor to replace starter which I find crazy. The service advisor said it is a high price becasue of where the started is located?

Since I cannot see the truck as I live in Michigan, is this a $500 labor job.

Anyone know of a good shop in the Evanston Illinois area

Hi, my son's 1996 FJ80 just got towed to a toyota dealership because of a no start. They just quoted me $424 for a discontinued started cable (8212260191) PLUS $200 labor and then $495 in labor to replace starter which I find crazy. The service advisor said it is a high price becasue of where the started is located?

I don't have a lead on a shop, but the service advisor is an idiot.
The starter is down low and easily accessible.
It's not like the later model LC's with the starter under the intake manifold.

Go to the "Clubhouse" section above and see if there is a club local to there with resources or maybe even a couple locals will help out and teach someone to do their own work......

Your in a tough spot with somewhat being at the mercy of Toyota because you towed the LC there. The labor price does seem high. I read we’re a guy in here changed his in 45 minutes. I would call another shop in the area to get a second price. As stated earlier they are pretty easy to get to. Maybe that was the price for parts and labor. That seems more accurate.

More information would be helpful to provide better advise.

First, if the key is turned on before turning further to start is the CEL - check engine light on? If not then the problem could be as simple as bad fusible links which are a $15 part.

Second, does the starter actually spin? If not are there any clicks heard?

Third, any recent maintenance? Things like movement of battery cables or other wiring.

The starter is easy to get to. Which dealer is this?
or

I don't buy parts from either.
Same for New & Used Toyota Dealership in Crystal Lake | Pauly Toyota - https://www.paulytoyota.com/

The only Toyota dealer near me that I still buy parts from is https://www.elmhursttoyota.com/ they are polite and at least act like they still care. Plus they deliver within 30 miles for $1.50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom