Any good electric water pump for 80 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update

What was done:
  • Drain, clean and refill original fan clutch with 20K silicone
  • Replaced Radiator w/ 'LILAND GLOBAL' from RockAuto
  • Replaced water pump w/ 'AISIN'
  • Replaced thermostat w/ 'AISIN' 170 degree
So far (couple of months), there was only one time when the temp gauge start going up while we were climbing a rocky hill on a warm day (mid 90s). Once noticed, engaged low gear in order to increase RPM .. that seems to resolve the issue. No more incidents since. But worth mentioning that weather is way cooler most of the time. Guess we'll need to wait for summer time in order to know better if problem is resolved.

You know the stock gauge is useless right? Have you verified what's happening with a decent gauge or OBD?

You know the stock gauge is useless right? Have you verified what's happening with a decent gauge or OBD?

Yet to do that .. but, when you say it's useless and:
- most of the time it stays in the middle,
- goes up when climbing a hill / idle
- post fix it stopped going up when idle

Should I just void that and try ODB when heat goes up?

I personally would run OBDII 100% of the time. You don't have to get expensive like a scan guage system but at least get a 30-40 dollar gizmo off Amazon and set it with audible alarms for temps. Mine i have to go off at 204f . That's low for some but i like mine in the 180s. If you want the guage to be more meaningful you will need to mod it. Right now it sits and when it starts moving you are already very close to danger.

Yet to do that .. but, when you say it's useless and:
- most of the time it stays in the middle,
- goes up when climbing a hill / idle
- post fix it stopped going up when idle

Should I just void that and try ODB when heat goes up?

It's well known that the gauge is a sub-optimal design. It has resistors in it so the needle moving didn't freak people out in the 90s. The impact of that is that if it moves, things are hot. Too hot. But that assumes that your at least 20 year old sender is in spec and the gauge is in spec.

Personally I wouldn't do any major diagnostic work based on that gauge, even if it was working 100%.

3D Printing Parts for the 80 there is one i took apart in this thread somewhere . I installed it in my dash but if you go through it you can see at least on other person's version. Mine should have the Amazon link in it. There may be better ones now but it will get you in the right neighborhood

inconceivable!

5CF74118-5969-4A5D-A207-9DC1D244F2F0.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom