Any front recovery points that clear the OEM bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have the Trail Taylor recovery points, but I noticed that if I were to pull out from them at a level angle, the line would hit against the Tupperware bumper that i love so much ;).

Has anyone found a solution?

Gil
Ventura

Last edited:
Recovery points are designed to be as close to the frame as practical to reduce leverage on the mounting bolts and internal frame nuts. I doubt if you will find anything that puts the eye significantly lower. If you do end up in a real stuck situation and have to get snatched or towed there is a chance the bumper will survive it by flexing, depending on the angle of course. You may loose a few of the lower tabs but it will probably stay in place.
Maybe in the mean time start saving for a more robust (and cooler) bumper!

I agree with you. I'm thinking the best I can do is connect the two points together with a short strap and pull from that to at least spread the upward force.

I suppose if I lift the front up a bit with the torsion spring, it will clear a bit more.

Rarely is recovery a flat and level proposition. Usually the victim is lower in the “stuck” condition and the savior is higher, “usually”. Also usually the scrapes from recovery equipment are secondary concerns at that point in the recovery. 😃. I once cleaned many handfuls of red mud out of the factory bumper cover after backing out of a tough spot. I was happy to be “out”.

If you wheel there will at some point be scars and stories of how you got them. 😎

I agree with you. I'm thinking the best I can do is connect the two points together with a short strap and pull from that to at least spread the upward force.
NOT a good idea to use a short strap. It could cause frame damage because of the pull angle. It is ok, however, to use a LONG strap to connect them together, which is normally called a bridle, and the longer the bridle the better.

Makes sense, how long would you suggest?

I would use your longest tree saver, if you have one. They are generally around 16 ft if I recall correctly. The 8 ft ones would be too short for that purpose IMO.

Trail tailor makes a spacer for them that is designed to work with a certain type of ARB bumper, but could help in your application.

but as others have said, in a seriously recovery situation, upward pulls are very common/likely so that bumper will be a hinderance no matter what.

Looks like they don’t ship to the US but you could use a forwarding service

F3C77A8E-E054-471F-B193-534013B59187.jpeg

How long would it take to remove the front bumper if one had scouted this before and had the tools?
If not too much, might be worth taking it off rather than risking several hundred dollars in damage to the plastic...

Also, but out of stock and may still catch the bumper at a steep angle

edit: think this is what post 9 is referring to

Last edited:
Also, but out of stock and may still catch the bumper at a steep angle

edit: think this is what post 9 is referring to

these are the recovery points OP was specifically inquiring about, that’s why I recommended the spacers he makes to go with those.

or you could spend $750 and get a TJM T17 to your doorstep!!

I’ll have to get some of those myself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom