Any experience with the Viper 571XV Alarm system or any viper alarms? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know Directed owns these alarms but does anyone have any first hand experience with them? I might purchase one soon because I want a remote start but also would like to upgrade to something that can lock and unlock my doors from more than 4 feet away.

I have a Viper 751 in my Honda Odessey and it works well. Very good range although not as far as they claim in my real world experience. I have a Hornet system in my TLC. Both are about 1.5 years old, made by Directed and were top of the line when I bought them. I like the Hornet better. It was $150 less installed, has a clock on the key fob, seems to have noticably longer range though I have not tested them side by side. Batteries last longer in the Hornet fob also. I talked to several Viper dealers before buying the Hornet and everyone of them said it was the same technology and there was no advantage to the higher priced Viper. Also, I bought the Viper online which I wouldn't have done if I knew how hard it was going to be to get someone to install it. The shop charged more for the install because I didn't buy it from them so it ended up being about the same price as if I would have gone to them originally.

I sell all kinds of alarm systems now and have also in the past. From experience I can tell you that Viper is the best alarm on the market. The reason being is that the parent company of viper (DEI - Directed Electronics) specializes in alarms. These alarms are very very reliable. I have never used anything other than DEI alarms on any of my cars. DEI has recently acquired clifford (2 years ago) and continue to grow their product line up. My recommendation for install is to have a professional do it. DEI will also give you a lifetime warranty on the BRAIN of the alarm. The remotes genrally aren't covered under warranty for more than 90 days. So I recommend getting something from your local retailer like a extended service plan to cover the damn remotes because they are WAYYY to expensive to replace for 2 way. I think the ebay going price is about 80 for the remote and the retail price is 129 plus remote programming. So, goodluck on the new purchase, you are getting an amazing product.
Q

Colorado80 Do you have some kind of shop in Colorado ? I was planning on getting a remote start installed some time but up in Summit county there is only one "car audio" shop and they seem very pricey.

I had a Viper alarm on my S-10 and it would pop open my shaved doors, roll down my windows as a back-up to my popper not working and it worked great for 5 years or so and I assume it's still working great. I am getting ready to get one on the cruiser. Go for it and just have the shop install it.

A shop is always going to prefer you buy the alarm from them because they can stand behind they're own products. If you bring them your own equipment, the warranty usually lasts until they can't see your taillights anymore. They'll also charge you more for the install because they aren't making up anything on the product itself.

Sorry guys, I was down in the Great Sand Dunes area over the weekend so I didn't have access. The answer to your question is yes, Sno Bored, I do have a shop in colorado. I manage the Car Toys in Aurora @ mississippi ave and I-225. Sorry I am not up in your area. As far as alarms go, I have worked in car audio for numerous years and I am also MECP certified and to this day, I HATE working on alarms because to me the wiring is just a complete nightmare. The pricing of DEI alarms usually at all shops is including the basic install which is lights (parking lights flash when arm/disarm), locks (locking and unlocking of doors), kill (starter disable when alarm is armed) and/or remote start if the alarm it self has that feature. All the other features are extra (ie window roll up, starter grind, etc). I would highly recommend buying from authorized dealers as far as alarms go because you will get a Lifetime Warranty on the brain of the alarm it self. DEI makes great products as I mentioned before but I am also doing 20-30 alarm installs a day so there are bound to be some bad alarms from time to time. Usually we do an over the counter swap for these alarms and the R & R is covered by our lifetime install warranty which is not so for COG (customer owned gear). So that is why I always recommend going to a shop for alarms. As far as car audio, I am putting together a tutorial for fiberglass boxes and other car audio related things which all of us can benefit from. As far people in local area go, I would be more than willing to help with install of audio, but as far as alarms you are on your own :) Goodluck.

Colorado 80 thanks for the info. Are you a member of Rising Sun? I would like to ask you a bunch of alarm/ audio questions some time.

Sno Bored,

I have a DEI Python alarm with remote start and it is a great product. I have had DEI alarms on my other vehicles, and they have always worked without issue. For me a good product is one that is installed and you use it and don't have to thing about it.

I had my factory alarm replaced with the Python unit because the Broker who I got my 80 from fried the factory brain when they detailed the carpet. He wanted to do a simple keyless, but I convinced him that the 80 had a factory alarm and that a keyless entry was not replacing apples with apples. I ended up getting the top of the line Python and was supposed to pay the shop $150 for the diffrence between an alarm and one with remote start. The funny thing is the installer lost my key (which I eventually got back a day later when the guy found it on the front desk of the shop) and had to have me get a dup from my wife which took forever and was a total PITA. They didn't charge me anything for the whole alarm plus start.

I had my old alarm on my civic installed by the same Car Toys in Aurora, CO that Colorado 80 manages. I would have gotten my head unit installed there as well, but the guy who quoted me for the install told me that they would need to re-wire the whole system because of the factory amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom