Any experience with Dobinson Fridges? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does any have any experience with Dobinson Fridges? I recently saw them. Look nicer than the cheaper fridges but speced closer to the ARB and Engel with a little lower sticker price. I cant find much about them. some place i saw the compresses listed and it was "the good one" and the fridge was listed with a very low power draw. Looks promising for a mid priced fridge, not cheap still.

Unfortunately this is kind of the price point i am looking for. I will use only a half dozen times a year. I would rather not spend $800-850 on a ARB, that just hurts. But no way do i want to spend $500 on something sub par. Even if the cheaper ones work if it has "problems" or glitches it will annoy me. I like my sh#t to work and be well thought out so i can focus on enjoying my trip! But landing in the middle price wise, maybe $600-700 just softens the blow a little. But only if it is solid gear!

My logic USUALLY works for me most of the time. I try to buy quality and not cheap out but not just automatically go for "the best". If i need the best (or REALLY want it!) then thats what i get. I do own ACOG and a Hinderer XM18. Why on earth do i need a $400 "pocket knife" to open boxes? No reason at all, just wanted it. That being said i shoot Leupold not Nighforce because i just cant justify Nightforce FOR ME. So there is a compromise i try to maintain. Maybe this is a good analogy, i shoot Aimpoint, not a ELCON. I would not call Aimpoint or Leupold garbage but they are not on the level of Nightfoce or ELCON.

I just applied the same logic to a set of shocks. Icons for $2000 or Radflo for $1500. Both solid companies, both 2.5" remote reservoirs, both strong customer service, both proven reputation with proven performance both sold through Metaltech. I talked to afew owners and both had glowing reviews except for some issues with Radflo one the 100 series. Honestly i dont know if I even needed reservoir shocks at all. But i figured the 80 is a heavy pig so let me try them out. Went with the Radflo for several reasons, production delivery time being a huge part of it but price was a factor. $1500 was just that much easier to justify to myself considering probably $650 2.0 smooth bodies would have been enough. Hopefully i wont regret this decision.

All that being said, a wise older friend of mine once said ,"dont ever buy the "as good as..." product". Usually it works but knowing me a few years later i am wanting the item that is the "gold standard".

Wow! what a rant that started out as a fridge thread. Maybe i just felt like rambling on. And to think i just gave a guy crap about buying a wonky $1100 Chinese made rear bumper when he said he couldn't afford a Slee or Labs rear. Hope i didnt just do the same with shocks!

Last edited:
I cannot comment on your question about the Dobinson fridge but I will back you up on your logic !

Early last year I was looking for a fridge and of course ARB seemed the gold standard that I should have. After a little research I stumbled onto the Indel-B brand and as luck would have it, the inmates at Tacoma World were hosting a group buy. Long story long, I come away with a TF51 for prob half an ARB. My logic, I'm using it maybe 10 times a year and if it goes out I'm never somewhere where I'm prob gonna die ! My worst problem is GF is not gonna have cold milk in her coffee and my beers gonna be warm.......first world problems !!!

In short, my TF51 has been fantastic and I got a great deal on it, wish I'd bought one sooner. It's the best piece of camping kit I've ever owned.....after my Tepui rtt.

Sometimes, we totally over analyze these decisions, me included. It's a fridge, do a little research and move on. Spend more time deciding which beer you should bring and how much !!

Regards, jonathan

PS. You're in luck, the Tacoma folks are having another gb !

I vacillated on an ARB fridge for about 4 years, and I finally just pulled the trigger. I'm very happy I did as the quality is very apparent in handling the thing. It's also extremely quiet and efficient, and I think it's actually worth the price. IMO if you're looking to spend $600-$700 on a fridge, spend a few more dollars for the ARB, but I'm a buy once/cry once kinda guy.

Engel is having a sale right now with 33% off most of their fridges with free shipping. The MT45 is around $670.00 if memory serves me right.

Wow. My Engel has stood the test of time. This is year 14. Very efficient swing motor, low power draw, these are great mobile fridges. I would buy another tomorrow if needed.

I want to say my MT45 was $700 in 2003. So $670 in 2017 seems like a deal.

The fridge world has been turned upside down, by all the clones of clones of clones coming out of China. I guess this is Engel's response. Because every other fridge uses a Danfoss compressor, but Engel has stayed true to the swing motor.

Engel is having a sale right now with 33% off most of their fridges with free shipping. The MT45 is around $670.00 if memory serves me right.
Any info on that sale

Wow. My Engel has stood the test of time. This is year 14. Very efficient swing motor, low power draw, these are great mobile fridges. I would buy another tomorrow if needed.

I want to say my MT45 was $700 in 2003. So $670 in 2017 seems like a deal.

The fridge world has been turned upside down, by all the clones of clones of clones coming out of China. I guess this is Engel's response. Because every other fridge uses a Danfoss compressor, but Engel has stayed true to the swing motor.
So does the "45" in the model "mt45" mean it is a 45 quart? If so, how does it fit the bill for you on a long weekend or more trek? I appreciate your input. Wish I could claim the real world experience myself. Working on that one!

And @rc51kid , I think your shock pick is solid.

So does the "45" in the model "mt45" mean it is a 45 quart? If so, how does it fit the bill for you on a long weekend or more trek? I appreciate your input. Wish I could claim the real world experience myself. Working on that one!

Yes, it's approximately that (Engel says 43!). Just the right size for a week on the road/trail if packed with care. It can handle 3-4 days for a family with ease. It isn't huge though, so you need to pack only what has to be cold, plus one day of cold drinks. The real beauty of a fridge, is being able to get things cold that are warm. So you can bring your sodas, waters or beer or whatever in a box, and only toss it in as needed.

And @rc51kid , I think your shock pick is solid.

thats good to here. After talking with Glenn and Metaltech i felt really good with Radflo. Then i talked to a few longterm trusted forum members that have extensive experience with radflo. All loved them. But i do see some Internet grumblings. Mostly i think the 100 guys had some experience with some shocks being noisy. But it is usually stuff like that.

There are definitely a lot of very good options on the market. Electrical component quality and insulation of the cabinet are the most important parts.

Our fridges come with the insulating cover with each fridge purchased, allowing you to keep the outside in better condition and keep it newer looking over time.

Last edited:
Just in case a Google search leads anyone else to this thread, 2 years later (as it did me): I’ve owned a Dobinsons 40L fridge for about 8 months. Took it on 2 four wheeling trips. The fridge is heavy-duty, and its physical footprint allows me to carry it on a jamboree rack that was sized for a typical Coleman cooler. It works brilliantly off AC, as well as when connected directly to my vehicle battery via DC. Its “Eco Mode” draw very little power. I validated very strong refrigeration function and accurate temperature readings with a fridge thermometer. Unfortunately, the fridge has twice ceased operation when connected to a Yeti 1000 lithium power source — displaying error code “E1,” even as the Dobinsons’ battery protection was set to “Low.” This ruined food while on my campouts.
“E1” indicates that insufficient voltage is reaching the fridge, but every other DC or AC accessory seems to run off my Yeti without error. I’ve not yet resolved this issue, so I’d warn others to consider the Dobinsons fridge with caution.

Just in case a Google search leads anyone else to this thread, 2 years later (as it did me): I’ve owned a Dobinsons 40L fridge for about 8 months. Took it on 2 four wheeling trips. The fridge is heavy-duty, and its physical footprint allows me to carry it on a jamboree rack that was sized for a typical Coleman cooler. It works brilliantly off AC, as well as when connected directly to my vehicle battery via DC. Its “Eco Mode” draw very little power. I validated very strong refrigeration function and accurate temperature readings with a fridge thermometer. Unfortunately, the fridge has twice ceased operation when connected to a Yeti 1000 lithium power source — displaying error code “E1,” even as the Dobinsons’ battery protection was set to “Low.” This ruined food while on my campouts.
“E1” indicates that insufficient voltage is reaching the fridge, but every other DC or AC accessory seems to run off my Yeti without error. I’ve not yet resolved this issue, so I’d warn others to consider the Dobinsons fridge with caution.
I've heard that some power packs shut down after the power draw stops for a certain time period. The fridge turns on and off as needed, and if it stays at the desired temp for a while, not drawing power from your battery pack, that could be your issue.

I cannot comment on your question about the Dobinson fridge but I will back you up on your logic !

Early last year I was looking for a fridge and of course ARB seemed the gold standard that I should have. After a little research I stumbled onto the Indel-B brand and as luck would have it, the inmates at Tacoma World were hosting a group buy. Long story long, I come away with a TF51 for prob half an ARB. My logic, I'm using it maybe 10 times a year and if it goes out I'm never somewhere where I'm prob gonna die ! My worst problem is GF is not gonna have cold milk in her coffee and my beers gonna be warm.......first world problems !!!

In short, my TF51 has been fantastic and I got a great deal on it, wish I'd bought one sooner. It's the best piece of camping kit I've ever owned.....after my Tepui rtt.

Sometimes, we totally over analyze these decisions, me included. It's a fridge, do a little research and move on. Spend more time deciding which beer you should bring and how much !!

Regards, jonathan

PS. You're in luck, the Tacoma folks are having another gb !

How's that Indel B holding up for you?

My Indel has performed as expected, absolutely no complaints. My girl friend loves it as well and it has made camping way more fun.

Regards,

My Indel has performed as expected, absolutely no complaints. My girl friend loves it as well and it has made camping way more fun.

Regards,

You originally wrote you had a TF51. I don't see that on their site. Old model or typo?

Maybe a typo, I haven’t looked at their site for a while..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom