1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Estate Attorney knowledge out there ?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Arleaux, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Arleaux

Arleaux

I need to answer some basic questions in reference to a will. I would rather communicate by PM. Any help would be appreciated.

I just lost both my in-laws w/in 3 days. :frown: :frown: :frown:
    Their deaths were unrelated.

This is an article about them.

I will share more of the story with you guys later.

Kinda hard to roll w/ the punches right now.

Thanks

2. wob

wob

sorry to hear that :frown:

(the link is no good)

3. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

Sorry to hear the news.....

If you have general questions, there is a lot of knowledge here, but you are going to have to hire an attorney to go through probate anyway, might as well start asking for referrals from locals you trust.

4. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry to hear Chris, God bless.

5. Jman

Jman

Sorry to hear. Condolences to you and the wife (and kids, if you have them).

6. Arleaux

Arleaux

This is the article.
    He was not only my father-in-law, but also my boss, & one of my best friends.

Sun Herald (Biloxi, MS)
    August 11, 2006
    Section: Death Notice - Classified

Doc and Jeanette Purser

MS United States

Doc and Jeanette Purser

While the Orthopedic Clinic has been part of the landscape of Picayune, MS, since 1976, Dr. Tom and Jeanette Purser have been a part of the heart of Picayune as well. Thomas Purser III was born in Birmingham, AL, and Jeanette Stietenroth was born in McComb, both in 1936. Their early years were spent in McComb. When they were 12 years old, Tommy Purser went into a soda shop with his friend, Arthur Pigott. Upon seeing Jeanette with her blond pixie haircut, beautiful blue eyes and spunky spirit, he told Arthur, "I'm going to marry that girl." Arthur replied, "Not if I marry her first."

Jeanette's family then moves to Opelousas, LA, for her high school years. They would meet again when Tommy was an intern at Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson, MS, and Jeanette was teaching children with disabilities. They married as soon as possible and would soon have four children, Vicky, Tom, Jeanene and Patricia.

While a young doctor with a family, Tommy enjoyed flying his family around in his Cessna, duck hunting with his Labrador retrievers and long-distance running. Jeanette would teach off and on for a few years, but her main concern was raising her young children. An enthusiastic learner of new things, Jeanette would provide a rich life for their children; teaching them tennis, driving them to their various activities as well as nurturing their talents.

Tennis would become the main sport of the Purser family, with Jeanette providing training, support and transportation for the Purser clan all over the Southeast during the summertime in their Winnebago. She also filled their lives with music and art.

As the children grew up, married and had children of their own, Tom and Jeanette continued with their zest for life, thirst for knowledge and love for all people. While Dr. Purser took care of the medical problems of "their" patients, Jeanette taught them how to live healthier lives. As anyone who knew them could attest to, you never knew where one began and one ended.

Doc Purser was known for his compassion and sense of humor by his patients over the years. He would spend as much time as his staff would allow him with each patient. Each patient was a dear friend to him. Being such a brilliant man and doctor, his heart wasn't with medicine, it was with his people. He also knew something about every single subject anyone could talk about. If he didn't know much about a subject, he would buy a book about it and learn all he could. Or, with the invention of the Internet, he could Google the subject so the next time he saw that person, he could carry on a conversation with that person regarding something that was important to them.

Their hearts were large, they were generous, they wanted for others. Their patients and friends knew that. Each person who knew them has a story or lots of stories about their love and their greatness.

Theirs is a love story. They talked about dying together and they got their wish. Tom knew Jeanette was dying and soon became ill himself. He couldn't bear to live without her. She hung onto life for him. He passed away on August 2.

Upon being told of his death, she chose to go with him. She passed away on August 5, 2006. Their children miss them but are proud to be Pursers, to have been given such a remarkable legacy.

The love story that began when they were 12 years will continue for eternity.

Funeral services will be held Saturday, August 12, 2006 at noon in the St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church. Burial will be in the New Palestine Cemetery under the direction of McDonald Funeral Home, Picayune, MS. Father John Noone will officiate at the service, and will be assisted by Father Michael Snyder. Visitation will be held on Saturday, August 12, 2006 from 11 a.m. to noon in the St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church.

Obituary, Register Book, and Driving Instruction can be found on the Internet Web page at www.mcdonaldfuneralhome.com. In lieu of flowers, the Purser Family asks that donations be sent for a memorial bench to be placed at Jack Reed Park, with the excess going to Habitat for Humanity.

McDonald Funeral Home, Picayune, MS, is in charge of the arrangements.

Copyright (c) 2006 Sun Herald

7. mobi-arc

mobi-arc

That's a touching obit. Sounds like they were smart and responsible, so they likely had living wills and trusts executed in order to avoid probate court. As the estate is settled, it would be wise to consult a lawyer that specializes in estate and tax planning. Presumably you'll have some money coming your way and as such, you need to structure things to minimize your tax liability based upon your personal tax situation.

8. cary

cary

I will give you a few general comments as I do some estate planning and probate as part of my practice.

As Mobi-arc stated, being they were professionals and well educated, they probably already had an estate plan in place. You wife and her siblings need to check and see if they were ever told of one, and where it was kept (I put mine in a 3 ring binder for clients that is labled in red writing on the spine and cover "Important Estate Planning Documents- Do Not Throw Away." People also commonly keep these documents in their safe-deposit boxes so check there.

You can't find the documents? Find out if they had an attorney they used. It looks like they owned their practice, so check with their business attorney, he/she will likely know who did their estate plan if there was one.

Assuming you find the documents, go back to the attorney who drafted them to have them probated. If you can't/don't want to, ask around for recommendations, or call the local bar association referal line.

9. Mr. Toad

Mr. Toad

Media:
    Albums:
    What a great couple -- you were fortunate to have had them as close friends and relatives.

At this point though, it's too late for most tax and estate planning. That was up to them. However, there may be some elections that might be made (e.g. IRA ownership/beneficiary changes, payout elections, etc.). I echo the others who suggested discussing these and other probate and estate settlement matters with your attorneys.

10. swank60

swank60

Hang in there Chris, my thoughts are with you and your clan.

11. DSRTRDR

DSRTRDR I can mangle anything ... SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    sorry to hear of the loss - best wishes to all the family

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">