Any downside to steel Tundra wheels on a 200? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

looks like they will need different lug nuts, and they will also have a different torque spec.

normally I see the other style with the holes in them.

I believe steel toyota wheels technically need a TPMS transmitter that mounts at a different angle, but someone here just used the aluminum wheel parts and worked around the fact that the body of the unit stands off the wheel barrel noticeably.

Toyota may have a version of the sensors that works both with a 200 and the steel wheel mount angle, but to my knowledge no one has posted about it. And the tundra transmitters will not work. Perhaps one of the guys down under knows what to do? @VooDoo2 possibly

VooDoo is running Methods.

True, but I figured maybe he had more experience with maintaining TPMS on steelies due to the number of those wheels down there.

This style is also out there.

steel wheels.jpg

I love the look of steelies! They are just too heavy for me to seriously consider them though at almost 40#. For the record stock is about 31, the ever-rarer-by-the-day rock warrior is roughly 24# with the rings.

your going to need lug nuts with a taper fit and tire sensors for steel wheels. as mentioned above the tpms sensor stem angle is different between the steel and aluminum wheels

and when they get powder coated just check the center bore on the wheel, if its a heavy coating it can close up the center boar and can cause some fitment issues

I put steel wheels on my 100 series because I liked the look, but I absolutely hated the way it drove. The weight was noticeable in every way - accelerating, braking, handling, and was much rougher feeling over bumps on road. I went back to stock wheels and was very happy. I've been running stock wheels on every 200 we've owned except for the Icon Vectors on our 2013. The Vectors are essentially the same weight as stock with ideal offset for 34s and has an appropriate weight rating. I have no desire to run a steel wheel again even though they look cool.

Steel wheel look but flow formed aluminum and only 24lbs.

brfxryi.jpg

Steel wheel look but flow formed aluminum and only 24lbs.

brfxryi.jpg
I looked at those Nomads for running winter tires before I found a good deal on forged TRD Pro wheels. They are a great price for flow formed wheels and had a 2500# rating, but that would be about the minimum I would want to run on a stockrig. With sliders, underbody armor and bumper added on, I liked the extra capacity/strength of forged wheels, but again, for the price, really not a bad option, and they look good on your white rig.

I looked at those Nomads for running winter tires before I found a good deal on forged TRD Pro wheels. They are a great price for flow formed wheels and had a 2500# rating, but that would be about the minimum I would want to run on a stockrig. With sliders, underbody armor and bumper added on, I liked the extra capacity/strength of forged wheels, but again, for the price, really not a bad option, and they look good on your white rig.

Agreed, but they are plenty, there will never be 5000+ on either end.

I've done this swap on my both my Tundra and my 100

The TPMS sensors from Alloy wheels will swap over to the steelies, but NOT the other way around.

This style is also out there.

View attachment 3267338

Yes Yes Yes!

These are the steelies i ran on my 100 and on my Tundra!

My fav and bombproof! I'll be putting these on my 200 as well, when i get it

I shattered one Rock Warrior wheel, and cracked another.

OEM Steelies lasted me 50k HARD miles without issue

Different lug nuts, and different torque spec though

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom