Any downside to steel Tundra wheels on a 200? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just purchased this 2008 a few months back and put the steelies on. These were all new Tundra spares from the dealer. We cannot get the tpms sensors to program, even at the dealer. Tried the regular alloy Toyota sensors but no go. They had some aftermarket sensors they thought would work for steel wheels but also, no go. The worst part is with LC's, it isn't just the light on all the time, you have the error that comes up every time you start the car and it stays on. Love the look and eveything about them but the wife will never deal with the constant error message. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.
PXL_20230609_191015012.jpg

Just purchased this 2008 a few months back and put the steelies on. These were all new Tundra spares from the dealer. We cannot get the tpms sensors to program, even at the dealer. Tried the regular alloy Toyota sensors but no go. They had some aftermarket sensors they thought would work for steel wheels but also, no go. The worst part is with LC's, it isn't just the light on all the time, you have the error that comes up every time you start the car and it stays on. Love the look and eveything about them but the wife will never deal with the constant error message. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.
View attachment 3344937
I saw this on the Tundras.com forum a few years ago. Place the TPMS in a PVC tube and pump it up to desired PSI and stash the tube somewhere in the car. Not ideal, but it'd get rid of the error message.

Bizarre

On both my 2012 and my 2014 tundra, I took the sensors out of the alloys and put them in the Steelies and no issues

View attachment 3344937
You say you tried “the regular alloy Toyota sensors” meaning your original ones? Or replacements?

I bought new sensors from the dealer when I bought the rims. Part number 42607-33012 which is a valid sensor for the 08 LC according to the dealer. The dealer tried to say that the sensors for only for alloy wheels and that the steel wheels don't work with these sensors as they create interference. Don't see how this is valid as, like Boston Mangler, I too did this exact thing on my 2010 Tundra. Last resort is the sensors in a tube.

Downloaded the Carista app and with an OBDII plug in I have I can identify all five sensors but they don't provide the pressure readings. I think I have to purchase the upgrade from Carista to get that.

Bought the Carista app and it still doesn't provide me any information beyond the ID# for each sensor. No psi reading and no ability to program the car. I have a question in to Carista to see why I can't.

Bought the Carista app and it still doesn't provide me any information beyond the ID# for each sensor. No psi reading and no ability to program the car. I have a question in to Carista to see why I can't.
The only reason you would want the Carista would be to program new sensors. It won’t “find” any new info that the dash isn’t telling you. Did you take down the sensor codes for the new sensors you bought? Do they match what the Carista is telling you? The caveat to this being that if one sensor is not communicating the whole system shuts down and you get the TPMs failure. I’m not sure if Carista can show that., but I think it does. I believe when I swapped my sensors, I had one successful registered sensors and 4 that were not. From dash it showed total failure, but in either Carista or techstream I could tell one was working.

the only difference between the steel wheel sensors and the alloy sensors is the angle of the valve stem Relative to the sensor.

A tire shop with a universal scanner should be able to verify that your current sensors are broadcasting properly and be able to read the sensor codes.

this was how I resolved my issue. A tire shop used a scanner to pull the broadcasted codes from my 4 sensors and then I used Carista to reprogram my ecu and then everything worked fine.

just in case it isn’t clear from above, all 5 sensors need to be working.

Try lowering the pressure then raising it again. Discount couldn't get my new Pacific Industries sensors reading so I brought it to toyota. The master tech seemed to think with these transmitters a pressure rise, fall, rise again is what is needed to take the sensors out of shipping mode/sleep.

All good info. Thank you. I did not write down the tpms id's before the install. Had no idea it would be so difficult. I will start with Discount and see if they are getting a read on all 5 sensors and if so, get the id's and program them with Carista. Will update after I do this. Thanks again.

All good info. Thank you. I did not write down the tpms id's before the install. Had no idea it would be so difficult. I will start with Discount and see if they are getting a read on all 5 sensors and if so, get the id's and program them with Carista. Will update after I do this. Thanks again.
The lesson here is *always* note the TPMS IDs before install. I have a page on my maintenance spreadsheet for this.. even keep the old IDs noted that are currently in the shed in case I have to go back to them for some reason.

We bought my '13 in 2015. I read about Tundra steely's here, went to the local Toyota dealer, and bought a set of Tundra wheels that were never driven. With the taper bolts, I spent $200 out the door. I cross checked the pn for Tundra senders, and bought a set from the manufacturer in Washington state. My spare is still the OEM Cruiser aluminum wheel.

No issues with Tundra rubber senders working on the Cruiser. Local tire shop swaps wheels in November and April, no TPMS issues when they get done and no need for me to spend the $$$ for a TPMS tool.

View attachment 3344937

That sure does look awesome!

Sucks we elected people that don't have a clue what they are doing, overstep bounds, and make life harder an more expensive for us.

hopefully one day we will learn.

20200115_095201.jpg

I run tundra wheels on my 13 LC. Different style but no issues.

I love the look of steelies! They are just too heavy for me to seriously consider them though at almost 40#. For the record stock is about 31, the ever-rarer-by-the-day rock warrior is roughly 24# with the rings.
which is 40lb the 18 hole tundra steelies or the 5 spoke steelies?

View attachment 3344937

Maybe you need to get non usa TMPS parts?

The UN vehicles run steel wheels.

I wanted to provide an update on this and maybe some ideas. It has been a long path of sorting this out and I'm still not there.

I found a number of posts on the Tundra sites about two additional parts in the TPMS circuit. There is a Tire Pressure Monitoring System Control Module #89769-60030 retail of $700+ and a Tire Pressure Monitoring System Receiver, sometimes referred to as an Antenna also. #89760-60040 retail of $800+. Many on the Tundra forum with similar problems to mine found the Receiver/Antenna was the problem. Through process of elimination I bought the Control Module used off eBay first for $65 and then through additional research learned the Receiver/Antenna is interchangeable with other models sharing the prefix 89760. I got it from a Tacoma for $30.

I replaced the Receiver/Antenna first with no change. Mind you this is a lot of work because it sits just off center and about 16 inches behind the entertainment system in the roof so it requires getting the headliner down enough to get to it so I was pretty frustrated when nothing changed. I then changed the Control Module since I had already received it and plus in my Carista app I was showing an error that said it can't communicate with 60030 and also error C2126.

I turned everything off again and put in the new Control Module which sits behind the side panel in the rear. Another fun one to get to but not as bad. When I turned the car on this time I finally showed a new message that said Tire Pressure Low and "Checking" on all five lines of the sensors. A great relief that I was makeing progress. I then looked at the sensor ID's in Carista and they were all wrong now. Mind you they used to be correct, and logically decided they still had the sensors from the LX this came from. I entered all five sensor numbers of mine and by the time I was done, the message on the cluster had gone back to my usual Check TPMS system and no longer showed the five lines of checking. I tried unplugging and replugging the module but no change so I am back to square one. But not quite.

I now know that one or both of these two parts is my issue. What I can't figure or decide is, was the used module bad? Did my system somehow make it bad? could there be something else going one? Any insight is appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom