Any DIY bumpers or sliders kits out there? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just exploring all options here. I know I have found some DIY bumpers (front and rear) and or sliders in the past but cannot find them now on a search so any help in the right direction would be appreciated.

Just a little background I have taken a few welding classes over the years including mig, stick and brazing and cutting. I own a small lincoln mig and cutting torches and I use a miller stick at work when something needs repaired. I am by no means a professional fabricator and have much respect for you guys that are but have been repairing and making things randomly for about 20 years.

If it is something I feel that I can't do or am not comfortable with I know a professional welder by trade that is my neighbor.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

4x4labs has kits

4x4 labs is also rumored to be prototyping a 100 series front bumper. I'm waiting to see what it's going to look like before I decide on anything else.

Whoa. I'd never heard of this. Is the idea that you'd buy just the flat plates, pre-cut? You do the welding and paint/powder coat and then you've got a bumper?

If so... cool!

That's basically what you do for his front and rear 80 series bumpers he does now. He also does weld together 100 series rear bumper kits too.

Keep in mind the challenge with welding a DIY bumper comes in keeping everything fixed, accurately lined up, from warping, etc. Takes a lot more time to set up and keep true with out jigs (which the custom builders have in place for cranking them out)

Whoa. I'd never heard of this. Is the idea that you'd buy just the flat plates, pre-cut? You do the welding and paint/powder coat and then you've got a bumper?

If so... cool!
Yup!

I bought a DIY rear bumper kit for my Jeep Comanche a few years back, and I must say it was a blast to build....i.e. bend and weld together. This kit came in a small (but heavy) UPS box and included all of the material to assemble. I had to bend the bumper face, which was a piece of cake since the manufacturer included narrow cuts with small tabs along the bends which helped keep the faces of the bumper true to one another. A sturdy table, a couple of C-clamps, a hammer, a little heat and an angle finder was all it took to bend up a nice bumper then it was just a matter of welding the joints and brackets.

IMAG0208_1.jpg

I'd love to be able to do the same with the 100, I just wish there were a few more options. It sure costs a lot less to ship a box of metal versus a full bumper, so I could see some folks taking advantage of a DIY bumper kit.

Does anyone sell the cad design plans for a bumper? Most of the bumper fabricators are on the west coast and will likely cost me an arm and a leg to get shipped. I wanted to do a diy kit, as I have a guy who can weld it together for me, but the shipping is going to kill me.

Does anyone sell the cad design plans for a bumper? Most of the bumper fabricators are on the west coast and will likely cost me an arm and a leg to get shipped. I wanted to do a diy kit, as I have a guy who can weld it together for me, but the shipping is going to kill me.

Check here. @cruisermatt is beginning to build locally in Florida and may be less expensive to ship.
Buying/Selling/Trading thread

I thought this might be a weight and cost saving solutions for a back bumper.

kI2Ox1t.jpg

Some more:

EqjauqF.jpg

qqakgqo.jpg

f3KJNtX.jpg

Some more:

EqjauqF.jpg

qqakgqo.jpg

f3KJNtX.jpg

Wow I had this exact idea to custom fab my own swing out and Jerry cans carrier. Do you have any shots of the work under neath the bumper? I don’t want to spend 2k on a metal bumper so this is a good alternative.

Kaymar has a system for this for the LC100. There was a guys rig from like Sweden or something here or over on the ExPo forum that had a picture of installing it. I cannot for the life of me find it. If I do I'll post it up, but it could easily show how to design the bracket.

Kaymar Rear Bars, Landcruiser 100 IFS

Last edited:
Im not sure how this guy mounted those swing outs or if the 4Runner's frame is further out towards the sides of the vehicle. Here's a pic of the back of my LC with my bumper. You would have to create some kind of A-frame swing out mount that sticks out too far IMO?
rV0LWRp.jpg

Intrigued but this thread.

Captain Obvious:. Isn't the primary benefit of custom bumpers to improve departure angles? I like that Runner but it seems like very little that couldn't be accomplished with a roof rack and the spare tire tuck mod...amiright?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom