Any Dealers Selling at MSRP, or dare I say it, below on Sport or TRDs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Title says it all basically.

Follow up question is get a 2022 or wait for the re-design?

We are looking at a extra vehicle. We are a family of five and everyone is of age and has a vehicle but periodically one breaks down. We tend to keep cars in a long time, therefore nothing is under warranty. Not a big deal but when a car goes into the shop for an issue someone is out of a vehicle for a day or a week or however long it takes to get the part and repair it. Then, someone is without a vehicle to get to work or school. Also, a truck is handy to do gardening, dog, moving or home depot duties.

All vehicles are toyota products, except for my son who had to go rogue and get a honda civic.

We had a 2006 F150 that blew its engine after 326,000.00 miles. Looking at a Tacoma to replace.

The question is as follows:

Purchase 2022 tacoma or wait for the redesign which I understand will be in the next few months and delivery sometime in 2024.

Live in Texas but often vacation in Colorado. The thought is that the redesign will have a turbo and may function better at altitude.

What are your thoughts and what do you know about the redesign.

Probably buy new as these things hold their stinking value so well doesn't make much sense to buy a one or two year old vehicle for the same price as new.

Thanks in advance.

The 3rd Gen is great. I’ve got a 17 Pro 6MT and it’s a keeper. If you want more feedback on the 4th Gen you might have better luck on Tacomaworld

Here’s the active 4th Gen thread

I just picked up a 2022 Sport 4x4 automatic. No extras. Was about $39k before taxes, ect. I live in Hawaii.

In my part of the country dealers are starting to see more inventory of them….. but it’s not consistent to all dealers. The small dealers have little or no inventory of new vehicles. One of the older larger dealers had a dozen Tacomas last week when I went to pick up a rav4 battery for my wife.

Maybe that means prices will get better. I thought I remember reading the Tacoma plant would be shut down for a short time as the chip supply could not keep up.

I think end of year is usually a good time to buy a new vehicle and get a slightly better deal but all that is the old way pre covid.

I have a 2nd gen and was thinking really seriously about trading for a 3rd gen.
I don't like the 3rd gen. I feel the power band isn't useful for a truck. I also know several people who traded 2nd gen in for 3rd gen and regretted it.
I'd say get a low mileage 2nd gen and call it good, but if that you're after a new truck, I'd probably wait for the 4th gen Tacoma with the new drivetrain.

I pick up a 22 TRD Off-Road 6MT tomorrow or Thursday at a dealer in Columbia, SC at MSRP + TTT. The other two dealers in the area are still charging a “market adjustment”

I have run into several dealers that are selling at msrp but requiring financing with them. Cash is no longer welcome

Unsure when we'll actually see the 2024 redesigned Tacoma on lots, but I for one am excited. Likely won't be until late 2023? Seems they're fixing the biggest mistake* of the 3rd gen and going with a new engine; the rear coil suspension should also be a nice improvement. Don't really care about styling, but am leery of how many electronic doo-dads will come standard.

*The 2GR-FKS sucks, period. It's a nice engine in my sister's Highlander, and I'm sure it's nice in the Lexus models, but what a f*****g abomination it was to put a car engine in a truck.

Unsure when we'll actually see the 2024 redesigned Tacoma on lots, but I for one am excited. Likely won't be until late 2023? Seems they're fixing the biggest mistake* of the 3rd gen and going with a new engine; the rear coil suspension should also be a nice improvement. Don't really care about styling, but am leery of how many electronic doo-dads will come standard.

*The 2GR-FKS sucks, period. It's a nice engine in my sister's Highlander, and I'm sure it's nice in the Lexus models, but what a f*****g abomination it was to put a car engine in a truck.
The 3.5L engine is just fine. I’ve never been without power when I needed it.

The Automatic transmission is a different conversation. It’s not pleasant to deal with. I’ve got a 6MT 3rd Gen myself but I’ve spent some time in the 6ATs. The complaints are justified, but I think the engine takes a lot of the flak for the 6AT’s shortcomings

That said, it’s looking like a 4cyl TT and probably hybrid will be the next powertrain. Like a mini version of the new Tundra powertrain

The Automatic transmission is a different conversation. It’s not pleasant to deal with. I’ve got a 6MT 3rd Gen myself but I’ve spent some time in the 6ATs. The complaints are justified, but I think the engine takes a lot of the flak for the 6AT’s shortcomings

That said, it’s looking like a 4cyl TT and probably hybrid will be the next powertrain. Like a mini version of the new Tundra powertrain

The 6AT is dismal. Drove a 3rd gen Tacoma with one and it kept hunting for a gear while driving up Parleys in Utah (6% grade) and once it down shifted it couldn't keep up. The MTs are better, but those make up a significantly smaller percentage of Tacoma sales, plus having wheeled my 2nd gen w/ 5AT for a decade I am sold on an auto for the way I use my Tacoma.

Having the torque really come on above 3000rpm is stoopid. If you drive between 3000rpm-redline, I'm sure it's fine.

I want torque from idle to ~2500rpm - you know, like a truck engine - and this engine does not deliver. Doesn't matter which transmission you have, the torque peak is around 3600rpm. (And yes, the 6AT exacerbates the problems, but that's a different conversation.)

Bottom line is: the 2GR-FKS is a car/CUV engine Toyota put in a truck. It's reliable I suppose, gets modest fuel economy, but has exactly 0 characteristics of a truck engine and was a horrible decision by Toyota.

"Denial isn't just a river in Egypt....."

Having the torque really come on above 3000rpm is stoopid. If you drive between 3000rpm-redline, I'm sure it's fine.

I want torque from idle to ~2500rpm - you know, like a truck engine - and this engine does not deliver. Doesn't matter which transmission you have, the torque peak is around 3600rpm. (And yes, the 6AT exacerbates the problems, but that's a different conversation.)

Bottom line is: the 2GR-FKS is a car/CUV engine Toyota put in a truck. It's reliable I suppose, gets modest fuel economy, but has exactly 0 characteristics of a truck engine and was a horrible decision by Toyota.

"Denial isn't just a river in Egypt....."
had to google the Denial thing.... haha

I really do think the engine hate is overhyped. Could int be better? Sure, but what vehicle couldn't. It's the 6AT that hurts the Tacoma. Peak torque isn't everything. There's plenty of torque before peak for sure.

Damn, I was hoping for a 2023 redesign on the Tacoma. Son and DIL have a 2022 and it's nice but still no match for my beloved 1994 Landcruiser.

Hello all. I just got 2023 the day before Thanksgiving. I live in the Seattle area and all dealers here have a "market adjustment" something like that thats around $1999. So all the dealers have an added 2K one of the Dealers near me sells at MSRP. I went in and they had two available and one was what i wanted. I think the MSRP was 41 and they had a discount that brought it just under. I Still added an extended warranty so it was more but still. The same day i went to a different dealer and had three prices printed up. The second dealer was a better deal all around. I went back because i had talked to a girl in February of this year and went back to see if she was still there. No longer looking at a 4runner i wanted to talk about Tacoma's. We made a deal.

Hello all. I just got 2023 the day before Thanksgiving. I live in the Seattle area and all dealers here have a "market adjustment" something like that thats around $1999. So all the dealers have an added 2K one of the Dealers near me sells at MSRP. I went in and they had two available and one was what i wanted. I think the MSRP was 41 and they had a discount that brought it just under. I Still added an extended warranty so it was more but still. The same day i went to a different dealer and had three prices printed up. The second dealer was a better deal all around. I went back because i had talked to a girl in February of this year and went back to see if she was still there. No longer looking at a 4runner i wanted to talk about Tacoma's. We made a deal.
I’m also in Seattle area - been watching for a 5 speed but those kept getting snatched up so ended up putting the $1k deposit down in mid Nov to ‘order one’ (aka hope sales allocated one with my specs soon) - don’t know final price til delivery but think it’ll be MSRP and a bit over.

Did you go to SODO Toyota of Seattle w/ their ‘one price guarantee’ ?

If anyone else finds this thread while looking for MSRP (or better) dealers, the other day I stumbled upon a Facebook group called "NO MARK UP TOYOTA" and there are quite a few dealers selling Toyotas at MSRP + doc fee, without any junk dealer add-ons. I saw a couple of TRD OR 6' bed Tacomas for $1k under MSRP.

Sales of 2023's have cratered with the pending release of the '24s. (at least here in Kalif). Good time for a good deal on the 3rd Gen. Love my '23 TRD OR 4x Short Bed.

Waiting patiently for the May 19 release of the 2024...then we'll see about selling my beloved one owner 1994 Landcruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom