Any CAT's in a Landcruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone put a CAT diesel in a cruiser, or know of someone who did. I have dreamed of doing this for along time and am not sure how much of a pain it would be sourcing the various parts and adapters. Diesels rule. :beer:

Honestly I have never seen a thread on here about it. I suggest looking at the CAT diesels and seeing what RPM they operate in, compare that to a stock diesel engine, then see if the power output is similar/weight and what bellhousing pattern they sell in.

You might find being equipment engines they are not designed for over 2000 rpm or something strange. Also Some are very heavy, as loaders don't care about weight.

The bellhousings could be tell tale. Internet lore says a SAE 3 bellhousing is similar to a chevy... again it is folklore.

A good automotive diesel can rev to 4000 rpms and gets it's torque around 1500 to 1800 rpms. So your gearing isn't so critical. But a diesel designed to max out at 2000 rpms might be pretty tricky to gear right, meaning through the tranny, axles....blah blah...

cat eh/4bt

a skidsteer 4 cyl will operate all day at 3000 rpm. the lower maintenance free life is 2000 hours. the bigger skidsteer turbo motors only put out like 80 horse big beal. if you are gonna try this you will need something like the cummins 4bt and gearing to make it work. x2 with brownbear the motors are heavy and underpowered for longevity kinda like the origanal toy diesiel. if you do this cat swap :cheers:

Right now the cummins 4bt is the front runner, more info on the swap and ease of locating parts. But a man can dream, if i hit the lotto rest assured I would figure out some way to put a CAT in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom