1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Carpenters/Woodworkers?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Brentbba, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Brentbba

Brentbba Former Golfer SILVER Star

I've got a balcony off my master bedroom that has serious dry rot in the deck planks. Doesn't look like the 2x10 support beams are affected, just the 2x4's of the balcony deck itself.

SoCal location, lots of sun in the summer, but because of the location of the house, the balcony gets no direct sunlight during winter months.

I've looked into the engineered wood product, but as we can see the underside from the patio, this product isn't a real option. All the products I've looked at don't have a 'finished' underside.

Railings, deck, etc. are all painted. Thinking cedar would be best, but $$$$$. Redwood may be next in line or would a good basic douglas fir 2x4 be ok if properly primed/sealed b4 painting? Pressure treated wood won't work because of all the little indentations left by that process.

Neighbor has the same dry rot problem and was quoted $10K to tear down and build something along the lines of what I currently have. I don't have that laying around and am hoping I can get away with replacing the deck material only for now.

2. phishtaco

phishtaco Cincinnati

I would say definately no to the Douglas Fir.
    Have you looked at Trex products? My parents used this when it first came out and I remeber it smelling like melted plastic bags, but hopefully it has been improves
    If not go with cedar.

3. Scamper

Scamper

You should probably use something rot resistant, especially given the lack of sun.

Pressure treated is not all badly done. There's a company in the East called "Best Deck" that makes select grade decking lumber in dimensional sizes. I suspect you can't get Best Deck lumber where you are, but I'm sure there is a company that sells something similar. Otherwise, I'd use a naturally resistant species like cedar, redwood, cypress, etc. They'll all be expensive though.

I'd think you can get western red cedar pretty reasonably out your way...

4. fj40crusher

fj40crusher

Trex decking will last forever. As for the underside-I'd plank that too if it bothers you. Or paint the underside. You could even have a nice marine canvas made to size and literally cover the bottom of the deck. Nice clean look and probably cheaper then wood. Could even get some tin roofing and underlay it with that. Lots of options, just depends on what your after.

5. albee

albee

The composit materials are good if the joists on the deck are only 16" apart rather they 24". Some of the less expensive 1x6 have a low Fb or Fiber strength in bending. That means the sag a bit between joist. Red Wood is most likly you best bet. It is a good compromise between cost and performance. It is the amout of tannons in wood that determine its effectiveness in resisting mold, mildew, and degradation.