Any body paint the inside of their timing gear covers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TexFJ

SILVER Star
Threads
The original cover had paint on the inside that was flaking off, so I helped it out. Now do I paint this or just keep bare and assume the oil will prevent it from rusting. Same for the flange, do I repaint it?

F72F98A8-017C-45CA-9768-5BADA44C1FB9_1_105_c.jpeg

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 11.20.06 AM.png

Definitely don't paint it, and BTW, a great way to remove paint and rust is using Electroysis.
It can convert some types of rust back to the original, and it's awesome for removing paint. The best part it's just a solution of washing soda, which is perfectly safe to dump on the lawn. I keep Phosphoric Acid on hand (get it from a cleaning supply place - a gallon of 75% set me back $30) to keep it from flash rusting. This is a battery tray, with some of the rubber still on it. Went in the bath, and a week later it came out. I use 6mil black plastic to line whatever container I need. The Anode is just scrap steel.
BatteryTrayRust.jpg

BatteryTrayAfter.jpg

BatteryTrayPaint.jpg

OK, so my instinct not to paint was correct.... although begs to ask the question of why Toyota painted it in the first place.

@rickyrockrat that's awesome on battery tray... too bad I didn't know this earlier as I spent hours working on that thing. tried HCl acid but it didn't budge the rubber covering. tried burning it but stopped pretty quickly as it just was messy and not healthy black smoke. I ended up elbow greasing the wire brushing with a drill. Painted it then put a nice healthy layer of Flex Seal on it.

I had quite a bit of rubber there, and Electrolysis is not for the impatient. I think I had it under for 2 days at least before I pulled the little bit of rubber that hadn't already been loosened. It is an amazing process, and it doesn't hurt to just leave it there for weeks. Your anode will eventually be gone, but as long as a tiny bit of current is flowing, your metal won't degrade.

I read about the process where they use it to restore old cannons from shipwrecks. And I think they said it's over a year process - the first part to remove the clorine, the second to revert (or remove) the iron oxide. There are like at least 4 different iron oxides, and one of those will return to back to iron. It's pretty darn cool.
It doesn't work worth a darn under grease, though. Kills paint, but not grease.

Do you electroplate as well? I've been trying and finally ordered some brightner, hope that is the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom