1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any BMW E36 M3 Owners out there?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by elum, Aug 11, 2005.

1. elum

elum

Just wondering if I could get you alls opinions on one. I am looking to possibly purchase a 1995 M3 to be used as a commuter to work twice a week or so about 200 miles a week and wanted to get some feedback if anyone here has any input or stick time behind the wheel....

2. WildYoats

WildYoats SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Excellent cars! I belong to a local BMW club as well as the BMWCCA. We have a lot of BMW M3 owners in the club, feel free to shoot questions my way or better yet, ask around on the biggest BMW board out there, bimmerforums.com

This is my BMW:

[​IMG]

3. DigitalMRB

DigitalMRB

E36

I had a 97 M3 Sedan, and man, I miss that car. One of the appeals of a 'Cruiser, to me, is knowing I have a well made truck. The M gave me the same feeling, just in a badass little car. It would run with all the little ricky rice rocket guys in town, all day, even beat a late model cobra with it once due to poor driving on the other guys part. The only reason I got rid of it is I originally bought it on a lease/purchase, the mileage was eating me up, and I got the opportunity to get out of it by buying my 80.

Only thing to keep in mind, a lot of young guys buy these and run the crap out of them. The prices for E36 M3's are really coming down, so be selective.

Good Luck.

Man, I miss mine. Road trips were so much fun, I averaged 105 through southern NM once, for about 1.5 hours. Still got 24 MPG at that speed. On that trip, I got from the Texas gulf coast to Santa Fe in 12 hours. SWEET.

4. patpend2000

patpend2000

If you buy one, due yourself a favor and replace the thermostat, thermostate housing (buy the metal replacement one) and the radiator as preventative maintenance. M cars like to run a little hot and a compromised cooling system will kill that expensive engine faster than anything.

The 95's are OBD1 compliant, therefore they can be modified a little easier than the OBDII cars (think turbo/supercharger), that being said, you can still mod a OBDII car easily.

Overall great cars, watch for rear subframe cracks in the floorpan of the car, you can fix this or better yet reinforce it before it tears, requires dropping the entire rear subframe and welding in some reinforcement members.

Look for maintenance records, you are buying an engine wrapped around a body, not an entire car, if the engine has not been cared for RUN AWAY.

M parts pricing is high, though there are a lot of internet vendors

Kelly
    88 M5