Any advice on whether or not to buy this 2002 100 Series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

I originally posted this to r/landcruisers over on Reddit but was told this would be a good place to ask as well. I wonder if anyone would be so kind as to give me some feedback on whether they think this is an acceptable condition for the underbelly of a 2002 100 Series Land Cruiser? They are asking for $10,000, and it has just over 150,000 miles. The interior is clean, and appears to have no body real body rust but the handle for the lift gate is rusted off. It seems to run well, I took it for a drive and it seemed to drive fine but I also haven’t driven many (ok, I haven’t driven any). Album of the photos that I took is below, followed by the link for the craigslist ad. I’m in New Hampshire if that makes any difference.

Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

AB776E27-E474-4FEC-86CA-E8FA180EAAB2.jpeg

8CA72BF3-65E7-48B6-9607-F7B1FDC88DC2.jpeg

6EF15AC2-613C-4556-A487-310BFF02B5CA.jpeg

441658F8-1B2A-4869-9CA6-BA898D36A6EB.jpeg

AA4B5271-BB98-4045-BD3E-4D31182CADF6.jpeg

I paid 10K for a 2005 with 114K miles, not anywhere near as rusty as this. Pass on this one, be patient when shopping for hundys, something will pop up. Just troll craig's list and FB marketplace every day for one

I would run. That is sooooo much rust. There are much better options out there.

Definitely pass. I paid just over $8k out the door for a 2001 with 200k miles and almost zero rust. Keep looking, they're out there.

Thanks for all the replies, needless to say I’ll be passing and will keep an eye out. Land Cruisers don’t seem to come around too frequently here so I get excited when I see one at a dealership.

Pay $600-$800 and have one shipped from the south. Will be well worth it.
How do you mean “have one shipped”? Are there folks who do this professionally or do you mean like on an individual basis a seller may be willing to ship or deliver their truck?

How do you mean “have one shipped”? Are there folks who do this professionally or do you mean like on an individual basis a seller may be willing to ship or deliver their truck?
Well, yes and yes.. There are companies who you can hire to ship a vehicle, or a seller may ship it themselves/also hire a company to ship it. It's pretty common to buy vehicles out of town and have them transported to you. Especially with sought-after vehicles.

Well, yes and yes.. There are companies who you can hire to ship a vehicle, or a seller may ship it themselves/also hire a company to ship it. It's pretty common to buy vehicles out of town and have them transported to you. Especially with sought-after vehicles.

Or be adventurous, find one however far away you feel comfortable with driving, fly there, drive it back. Enjoy the new ride home :)

Or be adventurous, find one however far away you feel comfortable with driving, fly there, drive it back. Enjoy the new ride home :)
I like this idea, and have thought about it before. I may go out to Tucson for a bit at the end of the summer, the Southwest is good to vehicles, no? I remember seeing several first gen 4runners in my time out there, compared to one in my entire life here in NE

Hell yeah! Now you're talkin'!

I like this idea, and have thought about it before. I may go out to Tucson for a bit at the end of the summer, the Southwest is good to vehicles, no? I remember seeing several first gen 4runners in my time out there, compared to one in my entire life here in NE

I like the adventurous idea! Yes, the southwest is good to vehicles. Nice and dry out there.

Uship is great for shipping cars or anything really. i shipped a fully built and RTT'd LC from CA to PA. took awhile to find someone because of added height and my schedule but not bad price.

hard pass on that rust bucket. yikes

the Southwest is good to vehicles, no?
While the underside is clean, the paint is toast on most of these. When they get to be "an old car" in the previous owner's eyes they are booted to the driveway where they get baked in the sun.

Obviously you can find them without this issue and paint is less of a problem than rust, but just something to consider. It's not all rainbows and unicorns.

That's exactly what I did, found it in Florida, flew down and drove it back to Massachusetts. Great test because I was driving through a monsoon for most of the trip and she did great!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom