Any 81 owners had to do any engine work? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I mean besides beb's, fuel pump etc.

My injector pump started leaking badly one day, that's the only thing that's happened aside from general maintenance items in the 4 years I've had my 81.
That's an expensive rebuild ($1400) , but it's all viton seals and with the new fuel lines I could run veggy/100% bio now.

Done that as well, mine was 1200 without a new acsd. Anyone have head gasket issues, piston issues etc?

No, other than what you mentioned, they are great. Oh actually, the harmonic balancer failed on mine - nearly took the crank with it....

Tell me more about the balancer, what it does, why it failed, repair cost etc.

Thanks.

Lets see:
New OEM CT26. Original blew and impellar shrapnel went in to #6 cylinder, leading to.......... full engine rebuild (060 Oversized pistons).......new injectors......rebuilt fuel pump.......etc, etc.

Took me 6 months to get her back on the road. At the time, a major whore-deal. I'm kinda proud I did it myself (except machining) and getting to know my engine......uh.....intimately.

They guys at ATEB also had a client that his harmonic balancer fail too! Not sure what the cost was on that, but saw the damage it could do.

They guys at ATEB also had a client that his harmonic balancer fail too! Not sure what the cost was on that, but saw the damage it could do.

I guess you will know when it goes? Sounds like it's few and far between?

4 needing new motors due to BEB failure that i know of.
1 needing a head.
injection pump seals

that is about it/.

No major stuff on my HDJ81 except PM... replaced valve cover seal...

FWIW, I did do diesel purge and exhaust pretty clean @ 3k-4k RPM.

What fluids are you guys all running, any experiences with different brands, weights?

Chevron Delo 400 5W-40 Synthetic year round.

My dads rig has been running on it also for about 100 000kms now. He hasn't changed the BEB's yet either (knock on wood)

Yeah, after all the time (I'm no pro like some) and $ invested, can't even get proper insurance in Alberta. For the doubters....wait til you go for renewal.
Eff'n bummer..... So i drive like a granny now. Guess I'll have to do the swap pretty soon. Maybe NA 60 on 81 frame? Or mine truck....Hmmmmm

What fluids are you guys all running, any experiences with different brands, weights?

Caltex/Chevron Delo400 MG 15w40
Mobil1 ATF
Yota GL-5 75W90 Gear Oil in T-case
Yota GL-5 85W90 LSD
Yota LLCoolant with Redline Diesel Water Wetter :hmm:
Caterpillar Desert gold in Birf
Redline CV2 in bearings
Heineken or similar for end-of-day idling :D

been warning my customers to check into this BEFORE dropping a dime on a RHD. many i never hear back from and a few only to say thanks for the warning.
how about a RHD to LHD conversion? a LOT of work, donor rig needed or do a engine swap into a US 80?
Yeah, after all the time (I'm no pro like some) and $ invested, can't even get proper insurance in Alberta. For the doubters....wait til you go for renewal.
Eff'n bummer..... So i drive like a granny now. Guess I'll have to do the swap pretty soon. Maybe NA 60 on 81 frame? Or mine truck....Hmmmmm

Rotella t 15w/40 is what I ran in the last truck.
I am switching over to 10w/30 rotella t in the next few days.
Amsoil everywhere else... Going to give their high moly grease a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom