Any 80 series running the Rhino Pioneer platform rack 72x56? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Mudz..

Is anyone running the shorter platform Rhino pioneer 72x56? Any issues with sizing the feet to the rain gutter? Im interesting in shorter rack any help appreciated!

Rhino says it voids the warranty as it is not proper fit.

Robert

I have the 42104b Pioneer Platform (84”x56”) on my 80 and have installed dozens of Rhino Rack systems at my shop. Short answer is yes you can run the 12” shorter Pioneer Platform. It would take some precise measuring, but keeping the 6 gutter feet in the correct place in the gutter, you have 3” of play fore and aft, under the rack to mount the 3 crossbars to the 6 feet and it will work. You don’t have much choice exactly where you want the rack on the roof though (further forward or back imo). Pic of mine for reference.
02ABAD5D-C0E0-4B17-AB09-46E791BC1876.jpeg

Awesome thanks for the info and the experience. I would want the rack set back so the sunroof is mostly clear. I think on the 72inch they run 4 feet however I could run 6 if there would be issue with load bearing.

When you say the 6 feet in the correct place. Wouldnt you attach it to the cars and then allow the feet to drop anywhere along rain gutter within the 3inch fore/aft you mentioned?

There is an awesome rack for sale in classifieds.

Yes I think so. Too bad the Yakima racks look pretty cool.

I have the 42104b Pioneer Platform (84”x56”) on my 80 and have installed dozens of Rhino Rack systems at my shop. Short answer is yes you can run the 12” shorter Pioneer Platform. It would take some precise measuring, but keeping the 6 gutter feet in the correct place in the gutter, you have 3” of play fore and aft, under the rack to mount the 3 crossbars to the 6 feet and it will work. You don’t have much choice exactly where you want the rack on the roof though (further forward or back imo). Pic of mine for reference. View attachment 2064964
I picked up this size rack, during lockdown, on the cheap and never installed. Got a set of the RR rain gutter feet. Was just looking at ideas on proper setup. Mine has a full length roller across the back (for ease of large cargo, RTTs, etc). Plus my 40th Anniversary has the rear spoiler too, add that to the fact I need to delete the factory rack as well.

Might be more trouble than it's all worth...

The factory rack on the 80 is borderline useless so if you are wanting to mount gear to your roof you’re gonna want to fully replace it with a platform rack or aftermarket crossbars, and I highly recommend the Pioneer for the 80. It can be a hassle to remove the factory rack with its hardware and rivnuts but you just gotta do it. As far as fitment, I have friends and customers with the 84x56 and the spoiler, it’s a non issue in clearance and fitment.

I’ve had my Pioneer Platform on my truck for 7 years now with no issues. It’s carried 200-300# of gear that whole time. I’ve drilled tons of holes in it to mount gear too. No issues. Again highly recommend it. The only issue I’ve seen is with people not tightening the hardware enough and then hardware comes loose. I suggest locktite on the track nuts between the legs and the platform crossbars.
IMG_4918.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom