Any 3rd Gen Tacoma Owner's Compare to FJ80 Off-Road Capability (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently picked up a 2017 TRD Offload Tacoma crew cab to replace the behemoth Tundra I had for about a year. I'm trying to get some insight as to how capable the Tacoma will be compared to my LX450. I'd like to set the Taco up as more of an expedition platform, but I need to feel pretty confident that I'm not giving up a lot compared to the 450, which is triple locked, turbo'd, armored and on 35 MTRs. I will say that there is no comparison in the build quality of the 450 compared to the newer Toyotas, but the Taco does have some really nice features in all fairness. I guess what I'm ultimately asking is, will the Taco with armor, 33s, rear e-locker and crawl control take me to 90% of the places the 450 can go?

I had a 1st gen Tacoma for a long time and my 80 now. My tacoma had high quality rear suspension (12" remote res shock, custom length Alcan springs with orbit eyes), front suspension was a longer "mid travel" setup (SPC UCAs, 16" "second gen" 3" lift coils on Toytec collars with 1st gen Tundra bilstein 5100s) along with an Inchworm crawl box, rear ARB locker and full armor.

My 80 has 35s, F/R lockers, armor and OME stock height suspension. I feel that the 80 has about equal flex (because of short OME shocks) a little less clearance, but a slight advantage with the front locker and bigger tires. In the end, I think they are about equal.

Now... once I get a real suspension under the 80, with longer shocks and a little more clearance, I don't think there will be any comparison. Plus, in my humble opinion, the 1st gen Tacoma has and advantage in it's smaller size and lighter weight over the 3rd gen... but I'll admit that's bordering on 80 series vs 200 series kind of thinking.

Here's my old taco build thread so you can compare:

The Lumpskie Build - '96 5-speed

It's a pretty far stretch.

1) The crew cab taco has a really long body and a lot of rear overhang, even compared to our fat wagons. Going 90% of the places a 80 goes could result in body damage to your brand new $40,000 truck.

2) Front suspension will not articulate as well as a stock 80, and much less so than an 80 with front swaybar disconnected. Unless you have a long-travel setup.

3) I haven't messed with the newer 4runners/tacos, but the older ones had relatively weak front differentials. If you lock it or run 35" or larger tires, they are prone to failure. If you run them open, you are at a traction disadvantage and you're still prone to breaking CV's, especially with a 3" lift (LT excluded).

4) I've owned several trucks with just the rear locker and didn't know what I was missing until I got a F/R lockers. It really makes a difference. Maybe "crawl control" mitigates this to some extent--I have no experience with it.

Just my thoughts. Both trucks are cool as fawk, but I wouldn't want to do any serious wheeling in a brand new anything :eek: Of course, everyone's definition of off roading is different. If you're not doing anything too treacherous, either one will get the job done.

I envy this non dilemma. Tacoma headgasket will serve you well
I know, 1st world problem. I'd really like to keep both and just continue to wheel the 80. But I'm having trouble with the justification of keeping 2 rigs. So ultimately I'm just trying to determine how much I'm "giving up" if I let go of the 80. Appreciate the input fellas!

I had a 95 Tacoma 4x4 standard cab. It was pretty good offroad with 31" tires. The negative is that I did get hung up a few times on the rear end and damn near ripped my spare out from under the truck at least once.

The difference in wheelbase will change how you maneuver around obstacles. The 80 is 112", the Taco is from 127" to 140" depending on the cab/bed config. I wouldn't want to drive something that long off pavement but plenty of people do.

I’m coming to an 80 from a 2nd gen Taco.

The taco has better acceleration, and if you keep the front sway bar, handles better on the road. Sometimes having a bed is really nice. If you don’t mod it, you’ll get better gas mileage; however from talking to some folks at the overland expo, the 3.5 doesn’t like extra weight and gas mileage suffers more than it did with the 2nd gen 4.0 motor.

As far as ability, I went everywhere with the 2nd gen and never worried about going alone. Bring spare CV’s, tie rod ends, a spare rear drive shaft, and the tools to do a trail repair. In 4 years of wheeling I never had to do a trail repair, but I’m a slow and steady wheeler on the obstacles instead of skinny pedal smash. A-Trac saves CV’s and works almost as well as a front locker.

If the 3rd gen has the same crossover pipe the 2nd gen, make sure it’s protected, and a high clearance rear bumper is needed. I recommend one with rear quarter panel protection too. Further, it’s almost impossible to source bedsides to replace cut ones. If you aren’t 100% sure on keeping it forever, but some fiberglass sides to cut and put your stockers in storage. Front wheel travel with a typical 2.5” lift is less than 1” down travel with typical 5-6” of up travel depending on your suspension set up. DO NOT cheap out with a puck to give you lift, you will either destroy lower ball joints or ride quality depending if you go on top of the coil vs in coil.

Now mine was heavily modified with Icon coil overs up front, swapped the springs for 700# 14” kings to reduce preload. All-pro rear expo leafs with icon 2.0’s smooth body’s in the back. Full armor, bed rack, and RTT, 33’s with light Konig rims had me tipping scales at 5400 lbs.

All that said, I found my modified taco felt very similar to my stock land cruiser. Being able to fit 35’s on 300k old stock suspension blew my mind. Birfs are much more robust than modern CV’s. And having everything safe from the weather, and from walking away at a gas station are also great perks. Basically, I don’t care about how long it takes to get to 65 mpg, which is where the taco wins hands down. But if you spend enough money, you can make it so it will go where your LC goes, but expect that investment to be in the neighborhood of 12k to really do it right.

452230FE-BD2F-482D-B83B-706449C5761A.jpeg

That's funny. I am contemplating selling my 3rd gen Tacoma for either an 80 or 100. Curious now that you've had them for a bit, what your thoughts were.

I am merely looking to do some extended camping trips with the family. No hardcore rock crawling. I thought the Tacoma would be perfect. Ride is great and power is just fine as well. But the back seats are just too cramped. The cabin overall, is cramped. Which is why I'm looking at LC's. I don't travel fast. The 4.5L I6 would be just fine, I think. The 100 has the appeal of more power, but I really like the looks of the 80. Had a 100 series years ago. Wouldn't mind one again, but 80 is pulling at me...

I’ve got a 2nd gen Tacoma sc’d, icons, on 285’s. Pretty quick, rides nice, but the back end will come around and tires spin in an instant. I feel either of my 80’s is better off-road.

That's funny. I am contemplating selling my 3rd gen Tacoma for either an 80 or 100. Curious now that you've had them for a bit, what your thoughts were.

I am merely looking to do some extended camping trips with the family. No hardcore rock crawling. I thought the Tacoma would be perfect. Ride is great and power is just fine as well. But the back seats are just too cramped. The cabin overall, is cramped. Which is why I'm looking at LC's. I don't travel fast. The 4.5L I6 would be just fine, I think. The 100 has the appeal of more power, but I really like the looks of the 80. Had a 100 series years ago. Wouldn't mind one again, but 80 is pulling at me...
Came across this again, funny how that goes. I sold my '19 TRD OR that was mildly modified a couple of years ago. I have always liked the Tacomas, but the build quality and overall solid feel isn't up to par with the 80 or the GX460 I replaced it with. If you really need the utility of a truck, well the Taco is hard to beat. I didn't get to wheel the Taco enough to compare, but I'm sure it would meet 90% of most people's needs off-road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom