Antique VA license plates (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Old Timer
Threads
Website
www.orion-ventures.com
For anyone in Virginia, running antique tags on your cruiser eliminates requirement for state inspection and usually lowers your insurance cost. I've got 4 pairs that I don't need:

1966 new condition $30
1971 used/fair $15
1971 used/good $20
1972 used/good $20

You're also only allowed to drive on weekends and no more than 1800 miles from home.

And it's not only weekends. It just can't be your primary transporation to work. You can still drive to and from parades or events, or on the "occasionaly pleasure drive." They don't care what day it is. And those parades and events (i.e. a club wheeling trip) can be anywhere. It's the pleasure drives that need to be with some mileage of your home.

Drive it every morning past the same cop, and you might have problems. Other than that, you're okay.

On topic: I'd take a set of you had '75s.

to clarify this discussion on the legal use of antique plates, I will quote the current virginia statute:

D. Except as provided in subsection E of this section, motor vehicles and trailers registered with license plates issued under this section shall not be used for general transportation purposes, including, but not limited to, daily travel to and from the owner's place of employment, but shall only be used:
1. For participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar events; and
2. On the highways of the Commonwealth for the purpose of testing their operation, obtaining repairs or maintenance, transportation to and from events as described in subdivision 1 of this subsection, and for occasional pleasure driving not exceeding 250 miles from the residence of the owner.
E. Notwithstanding the foregoing provision of this section, antique motor vehicles and antique trailers displaying license plates issued pursuant to subsections B and C of this section may be used for general transportation purposes if the following conditions are met:
1. The physical condition of the vehicle's license plate or plates has been inspected and approved by the Department;
2. The license plate or plates are registered to the specific vehicle by the Department;
3. The owner of the vehicle periodically registers the vehicle with the Department and pays a registration fee for the vehicle equal to that which would be charged to obtain regular state license plates for that vehicle;
4. The vehicle passes a periodic safety inspection as provided in Article 21 (§ 46.2-1157 et seq.) of Chapter 10 of this title;
5. The vehicle displays current decals attached to the license plate, issued by the Department, indicating the valid registration period for the vehicle; and
6. When applicable, the vehicle meets the requirement of Article 22 (§ 46.2-1176 et seq.) of Chapter 10 of this title.
If more than one request is made for use, as provided in this subsection, of license plates having the same number, the Department shall accept only the first such application. Only vehicles titled to the person seeking to use license plates as provided in this subsection shall be eligible to use license plates as provided in this subsection.
F. Nothing in this section shall be construed as prohibiting the use of an antique motor vehicle to tow a trailer or semitrailer.
(Code 1950, § 46-99.1; 1954, c. 60; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-104; 1980, c. 359; 1986, c. 8; 1989, cc. 338, 727; 1999, c. 292; 2000, c. 259; 2004, c. 796.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom