Antifreeze (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I have done my research in the forum. There is a lot of older information on Toyota red vs green antifreeze. I am putting a new aluminum radiator in my KZJ78 will be doing a full flush and want to out the right antifreeze in. I have been using OEM branded Toyota coolant which might be the pink version (hard to tell, they have since changed their packaging to state pink or red) I flush my coolant system every year. I have been reading very conflicting things. Is the standard IAT with silicate ok if flushed every year or should I be using HOAT non silicate long life and still flushing every year? Aluminum rad, but stock heater core. I don't have access to Toyota red from a dealer near me. Just Canadian Tire, napa etc.

I know this post has been covered but everything I found was at least 5 years old..

Thank you.

I flushed then filled with the generic branded "OEM premixed for Asian vehicles including Toyota, Lexus, etc" crap that was in canadian tire 3 years ago and it hasn't caused anything to explode yet. :meh:

You should be using a HOAT type coolant, which is hybrid of OAT and IAT.

You should be using a HOAT type coolant, which is hybrid of OAT and IAT.
I have Toyota pink I believe which is a HOAT but I've been told the pink might not be great on my heater core something about it being corrosive to lead which may have been used in the heater core? It's OEM branded for Toyota, I thought it was red but I think it's pink.

Im no expert on coolants, but I have always thought the toyota pink was for their later models
Red is what Toyota Australia recommend for landcruisers from the 80s-90s but understanding its not readily available to you. Ive been using the red in my 70 series for 13 years with no heater core problems. Ive also been using it in my Triumph Rocket 3 after the dealer stopped stocking the recommended Mobil coolant 7 years ago.

Surely your dealer could order red coolant in for you? We can buy it in all the parts stores in Australia now which made the price go down.

Surely your dealer could order red coolant in for you? We can buy it in all the parts stores in Australia now which made the price go down.

They could only get premix, which I really don't like to use, and they didn't sound overly confident it was red not pink. Plus my nearest dealer is over an hour away.

Ok, I have done my research in the forum. There is a lot of older information on Toyota red vs green antifreeze. I am putting a new aluminum radiator in my KZJ78 will be doing a full flush and want to out the right antifreeze in. I have been using OEM branded Toyota coolant which might be the pink version (hard to tell, they have since changed their packaging to state pink or red) I flush my coolant system every year. I have been reading very conflicting things. Is the standard IAT with silicate ok if flushed every year or should I be using HOAT non silicate long life and still flushing every year? Aluminum rad, but stock heater core. I don't have access to Toyota red from a dealer near me. Just Canadian Tire, napa etc.

I know this post has been covered but everything I found was at least 5 years old..

Thank you.
Where did you get a replacement radiator?

Not intending to start a coolant debate but I will toss in my 0.02$.
I run purple Prestone Command HD Diesel coolant in ALL diesels including a few different models of Toyotas, and some others that are cavitation prone and require SCA's etc. Never had a problem in any regard and have been using it for many years

Aftermarket coolants from a quality brand are as good as anything if they are within toyota specs. You can buy the red online.

I have only green glycol in my 1HZ. Green glycol is specified in another older Perkins diesel I have with a cast iron head and a brass radiator, and I run pink OAT coolant in it, which is superior for anti corrosion.

It's a really important question you ask here, as I don't know which would be acceptable for your block/radiator combo.

I doubt there's any value to jugs of "Toyota" branded coolant. I used Rotella ELC for the OAT coolant, it was available locally as concentrated.

There is also waterless coolant, which is popular with some collector vehicles.

For an older engine, its important to note what the manufacturer recommended, but realize that coolants, fuel and oils may have progressed substantially since the engine or vehicle was made.

Don't go renegade or cowboy on it, but carefully step into what you could be using and why.

You might find your answer is OAT, be really sure your system is completely flushed though, and that you aren't mixing coolants.

I bought my Rotella ELC concentrate in jugs at Canadian Tire, UFA in Alberta will probably give you a better price for the same. I would expect their store branded coolants to be excellent or harvests would fail here.

You might find your answer is OAT, be really sure your system is completely flushed though, and that you aren't mixing coolants.

I bought my Rotella ELC concentrate in jugs at Canadian Tire, UFA in Alberta will probably give you a better price for the same. I would expect their store branded coolants to be excellent or harvests would fail here.

Edit: OAT would have less corrosion protection than green glycol, but be potentially less toxic, and last longer in service. I'm sticking with green glycol on my 1HZ

Either of these good to use? I am thinking the G05 one. Says 1996 and older Toyota, the other one says 1990 and newer Toyota.

9E77DFAC-3E63-4657-8876-258FC4E36460.jpeg

FDF8C514-7786-409A-BB99-DC8DBB3F59E7.jpeg

This can't be that hard.

You had OEM Toyota pink coolant in there before. The colour of the coolant, rather than the bottle, was pink?

Do either of those Zerex bottles cross-reference to "Toyota coolant" and are pink liquid? If so, you are ready to go. What does your driver's paper manual say for specifications? Does it have labelling under the hood?

Both the bottles show HOAT and p-HOAT. This would be a mismatch against ethylene-glycol coolant, which may be green coolant.

My understanding pink not good red good? I used to get a certain brand red at Napa (not Napa brand) but seems like they have discontinued stocking that brand? So trying to find an alternative. I guess I should just for grins, check at the local dealer and see how much they will hose me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom