Antifreeze consumption/leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New here. Great site. Just purchased a 99 LC. 54k. Drove it back from Cleveland last week. No issues. Wife calls day after Christmas and says that there is "smoke" coming out of the engine. Luckily she was right next to a Goodyear shop. Tech opens the hood and finds that the antifreeze level is at about 25%. Fills the radiator (not the overfill). All is well. I checked it yesterday and it has gone down again (I can see the radiator cells where I could not before). The fellow who sold it to me states that ALL fluids were at correct levels (I did not check at the time of the sale at the dealer. My fault there). It was very cold up until that day my wife had the issue i.e. low 20 and 30 degrees and then 55. So, here are my thoughts and questions. 1) The guy lied or just did not know and it was cold enough to create an air cooled engine scenario on the expressway. That is why I never noticed any overheating issue. 2) It was full and the 350 mile trip allowed for the leak into the head although there are no signs of oil in the antifreeze or antifreeze in the oil. Since I was not there when the GY tech filled the radiator, I have no idea of the amount (exact). But I did check after my wife came home and saw that it was at the top of the fill cap (radiator). Then I checked again and saw it lower. I bought more fluid and filled the reservoir like it should be and will monitor the level.

Any help/suggestions would be very helpful. Vehicle was well maintained and is clean.

Check levels and monitor exhaust as well...lots of white smoke is not a good thing.

Overfull rad and overflow could cause it to gush out....

Monitor and see if you can see what is up!

Take it to the toyota dealer/independent shop and have them pressure check the system and trouble shoot. It could get real expensive if you over heat that engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom