Anti-inversion shackles - a good thing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Seems like I read here somewhere about the advantages and disadvantage of anti-inversion shackles. I'm installing 2.5" springs on my 40, considering putting on 1 1/2" extended shackles while I'm at it. What are the pros and cons of Anti-inversion shackles? I understand what they do, but I see many people that don't go that route.

Also, when installing shims, are they required on all four perches or just on the front?

What are you installing shims for?
If you are going to go 2.5", with extended shackles, why not just go 4 with standard length? You will end up with a better ride and simpler install that way.....
ANYWAY to answer your question about anti-inversion shackles, Woody recommended them if you get lift springs, and that was enough for me :bow:
But also, There was a guy awhile back who had a skyjacker rear spring that kept inverting, and once a spring inverts the spring is more likely to invert again. I needed new shackles anyway, and decided to go the distance and get greasable anti-inversion. Very very good design and construction as far as I am concerned. Others think they are too conservative and limit downtravel, I have yet to experience this.
Read this: especially the FAQ at the bottom
http://www.toepper.net/lift_install.htm
If you are going to install extended shackles I would only do it in the back, extended shackles in front tend to have baad handling consequences.

i'm running the 4" skyjacker with stock lengthened shackles and have never had a problem.
my friend uses them because he simply rearched his springs for his lift. in doing this the springs become shorter from pin to pin.

when manufactures make lift springs the spring length (is supposed to be) the same distance from pin to pin, not necessarily the length of the curved spring.

if you have any doubt, just go ahead with the anti's, but i've never even come close to having this problem, even at full droop.

Not trying to steal the thread but can those of you with 4" Skyjacker lifts tell me if your springs all had the same arch ?
Mine has 2 that has more arch than the other 2 :dunno:

Thanks and by the way I bought them used.
Burl

Hmm I've got a pic somewhere of the lift right out a the box, springs side by side. Tomorrow I'll get it up. I wouldn't be suprised since they front and rear springs are different, the are labelled front and rear, and I believe the offset of the spring center pin is different.

it does seem like they were arched a little different out of the box. actually, mabey it's just that they are different lenghts pin to pin.
i'll check my pics too.

Ok heres the pic, sorry its not too good. Are your springs still labelled F & R?
lift kit.jpg

The springs with less arch go in front,... and remember tle long side of the spring is the shackle side... short side to frame spring pin (fixed end of spring).

Thanks CruisinGA for the pic no you cannot see the markings for front (f) or rear (r) on my springs :( They don't apppear to be different lenghts though but I was thinking the same thing willsta2000 wrote about the less arch in the front and that will help me "equal" out the lift front to rear with the way I'm doing my shackle reversal :G

thanks to everyone for helping me out :G

Sure thing dude, just returning the favor Halo3 and others did for me before I installed mine. :beer: :G

On my OEM springs, admittedly worn, laying on the ground the eye to eye length of the front springs are about 1 inch longer than the rears.  Also, the rears have the most arch.  This should be the same for any size lift, as I understand it.  For that matter, the eye-to-eye length on any new springs should be the same as the OEMs.  I got a set from CCOT where the rear spring length was about 1/2 inch to 1 inch shorter than OEM.  As you can imagine, it had a terrible ride(shackles couldn't work properly), and I had shackle inversion problems.  (CCOT took them back.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom