Anti-freeze-coolant leak below intake manifold 96 FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My cruiser sprung a leak (and the temp gauge started rising toward the "red" zone) today. The leak looks like it is coming from below the intake manifold (the antifreeze is leaking onto the starter and is a pretty large leak).

I was using the air conditioner at the time of the leak and the air conditioner all of a sudden did not cool the interior of the SUV. I obviously pulled over and started looking around down under and this is when I noticed the leak under the intake (as mentioned above). The antifreeze ends up on the ground under the starter (dripping off of the starter)

Since this was an emergency, I filled the radiator (it took almost 2 gallons of water) and did not use the air conditioner and the leak went away (the temperature was normal for the rest of the ride home (70 miles). I was quite nervous and would almost constantly watch the temp gauge and it appeared normal. Once I got home, I turned off the truck and no leak.

This is obviously not fixed (i wish it was that easy), and I need to fix it when the engine cools down. I plan to check up under the intake manifold to see where the leak was coming from.

Any ideas as to what is going on here? Has anyone ever had this happen? Possibilities?

Thanks!

Search PHH (pesky heater hose). It is the likely culprit.

PHH, almost certainly.

PHH or the small hose that goes to the throttle body under the manifuld.

PHH...after replacing my PHH I can picture exactly where it is leaking from.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom