Antenna work in a FJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jason,

Why are you replacing the entire antenna/motor? Has your's totally given up?

Many of us have had to replace the mast when the nylon bit broke off, but that only costs about $35 and is OEM--a one :banana: job. If your motor is still working (i.e., you can hear it work when you run the up/down buttons), then you probably only need the mast.

Personally, I wouldn't put something like that in my truck--I'd go OEM even if it meant buying a new motor. For the price of that item, it's likely pretty cheesy and would break down quickly. Just my .02

Tom

Thanks Tom,

My antenna motor works, I just need to replace the mast/cable. PO's brat had snapped the mast off. Being aware of the mast/cable-only replacement option (and it's oem price) I thought I might go ahead and replace the whole assembly with the aftermarket since the price was the same. But of course realizing the "you get what you pay for" side of things thought I would check first and see if anyone had any experience with it. After looking closer at my oem assembly I think the one on E-bay would not match up correctly to the mounting bracket.

Jason

By the way - anyone have the part # for the mast/cable replacement? I'm going to have to order it over the phone and don't trust the parts yahoo at my local Toy dealership. They once sent me the wrong lugnuts!

Go OEM! Contact CruiserDan on this site, he can hook you up.

Remember the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I wouldn't replace the motor, just the mast. I just did this on my 97.

There are posts on this. What do you mean by "mast/cable-only" option? There are different motors and mast set ups for 95-97 and 91-94 models. For 91-94 you replace the mast only, about $30. if your cable is good and still has the end bolt to attach to the mast you can just attach the mast to the cable. If the bolt on the nylon cable is broken you can get an oem mast with cable attached for an 85 4runner for $30 and thread the cable into your existing drum, but the mast is not a perfect fit and will only give 80% extension and will occasionally jam (I have one). Optionally you can apparently buy a new mast for the 80 plus a cable/mast from an 80's camry and thread that cable into the drum which has the bolt to attach to the 80 mast. That last option will cost you maybe $60 tops.

Mine is a 1991. I was thinking it was a cable type setup but after stopping a the dealership tonight to pick up a replacement I realize it's not. This one has threads at the end of it. I'm assuming it's not as easy as just screwing it in from above and that I'll need to take the motor assembly out? Does the antenna cable (cable that carries signal to radio) just unplug at the mast? I tugged pretty hard but wouldn't budge.

if you are lucky it's nearly that easy. Undo the mast from outside. have someone press the up button inside the truck while you hold onto the mast. Once you have a few inches of nylon cable stop. Unbolt and reattach. Your problems will start if the cable has snapped inside.

>> Does the antenna cable (cable that carries signal to radio) just unplug at the mast? <<

No, it is not designed to be removed from the motor assembly.

Follow Simon's (semlin) instructions above.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom