1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Antenna procedure

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by ccoli, Feb 5, 2004.

1. ccoli

ccoli

Ok, I got my new mast from CDAN and got the old mast off, but the old plastic drive cable is still in there.
    How do I get it out? ???
    The FSM troubleshooting chart refers to an Antenna R&R procedure that I can't find in there.

2. Junk

Junk

You only get 1/2 credit. One point for finding Cdan, but you missed the point on covering the antenna. Try this nifty cool, snazzy jazzy, nifty jifty trick. Hit the SEARCH button.

This has been covered on numerous other places as well.

3. Scamper

Scamper

ccoli,

You'll find that Junk is our resident curmudgeon. You'll grow to like it :rolleyes:

You've completed only part of the procedure, but you have to pull the antenna motor out of the fender. There is a writeup on the procedure somewhere about these parts. You can also use the search as Junk suggested. But basically, there's a single bolt holding the antenna motor in the fender on the PS. Once you've extracted the motor (you'll only be able to pull it out of the hole a little bit since the antenna cable will hold it back, and you don't want to have to R&R that part) you'll see that there are a handfull of small screws holding the plastic cover on the motor. There's also one long but thin bolt going thru the middle (watch out not to loose the nut). You pull those off, then the cover comes off, then you can remove the broken bit of cable. Tie it back up in the opposite order of dissasembly, and you're done.

Do find and read the posts. It will save you a lot of time and frustration. Good luck.

Tom

4. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

Ouch! Junk - do you work for an airline or the DMV?

5. ccoli

ccoli

First thing I did was search for antenna replace, or replacement or procedure. Zip, nada, nothing pertinent anyway just the current rant of tlc problems in Hawaii. What should I search for? Aunt Anna?
    Thanks for the info!

6. Junk

Junk

[quote author=ccoli link=board=2;threadid=11066;start=msg99824#msg99824 date=1076004512]
    What should I search for? Aunt Anna? [/quote]
    Apparently so. Are you saying you'd rather have 10 guys waste their time reposting the same info? :slap: Click the section so you only search 80/100 section and type in antenna or your auntieslutanna and see wyat you get.

Moj - I don't :flipoff2:

7. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    [quote author=MoJ link=board=2;threadid=11066;start=msg99813#msg99813 date=1076003121]
    Ouch! Junk - do you work for an airline or the DMV?
    [/quote]

He is one of those "feel good" coaches that does informercials :doh:

8. Safado

Safado

9. ccoli

ccoli

[quote author=Safado link=board=2;threadid=11066;start=msg99886#msg99886 date=1076008843]

[glow=red,2,300]You're the one that started it[/glow]. :flipoff2:

No excuse dude...you deserve the Junk Flames.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?
    [/quote]

And if you read it there is NO mention of how to or where to find this info. That thread turned into why I should replace my stock stereo cuz the right side was bad.
    Got that fixed, with the help of someone on this list. Stock amp was fried as the PO had hooked it up without the speakers wired. Got a replacement amp "cheap" from the list member. Beat the $$$ an aftermarket would have cost.

Guess I'd rather reread how to's than a bunch of chit chat on a tech board.

10. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

Ladies, ladies...

11. ccoli

ccoli

12. offroadkid

offroadkid

Albums:
    When I used to work at Lexus, there was a procedure for this. The technician would turn the key on, and press the am/fm button and another one, ( I can't remember) then the cable would feed itself out. He would then repeat the procedure to feed in the new cable. Would this not work for the Cruiser also? I'll try to find out exactly how the procedure went.

13. Safado

Safado

[quote author=ccoli link=board=2;threadid=11066;start=msg99921#msg99921 date=1076012120]
    OK truce!
    I found it. Spelled antenna wrong :whoops:
    https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=5760;start=msg47350
    Will go get my fingers dirty.
    [/quote]

Well...:-X :-X :-X :-X No, won't go there...I'll keep the peace. I was just pointing out that the generous responders to the thread last month gave the same answer. You've found the correct thread now however and I wish you luck on the fix. Then you can come over and fix mine. ;)

14. Junk

Junk

[quote author=ccoli link=board=2;threadid=11066;start=msg99921#msg99921 date=1076012120]
    OK truce!
    I found it. Spelled antenna wrong :whoops:
    https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=5760;start=msg47350
    Will go get my fingers dirty.
    [/quote]

No worries dude. I just tend to be a bit aggressive on the search slap. :D

FYI, I have replaced the mast and do not withdraw the motor. If all you did was bend the mast, then all you have to do is losen the top retaining nut, power out the ant. replace mast, power back in etc.

There's been a ton of repeat threads recently, but ever since Landpimp joined, the spelling has taken a huge slide downhill. :D

If you get going, and need a hand, please don't hesitate to request one.

15. ccoli

ccoli

:D OK antenna fixed. The plastic drive had broken off so the non remove of the motor option didn't apply. I could see it if the mast was just bent. Anyway only cursed it a few times. How many people, even knowing about it, let the little nut fall out anyway?
    Some corrections to the procedure: the socket sizes are either different on mine or wrong. Mine were 11 and 10mm.
    Motor had to have the mounting bracket removed to come out the hole. Did not have much slack on the cable. Trick is to NOT twist the cable up trying to figure out what position it needs to be in to get it outa the hole. and did not need a second person to line back up. Just start the spanner nut to hold it in place while you get 10mm nut going.
    Junk, No hard feelings. The search thing takes some practice and trail and error.
    This procedure should be in an FAQ somewhere!

16. fj40crusher

fj40crusher

OK, so I can't spell...sorry. ::) Hope my write up helped.

17. Junk

Junk

ccoli - thanks for coming back to the thread and posting your experience. Now when others search, they will also see your information. I know Woody is fixin to unPhat Max the search capabilities, so we'll all be in better shape.

Glad you got it done. Now you can go listen to the radio as you [​IMG] :D