Antenna Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to re-mount my CB antenna since I swapped out the tub in August. Would like to see how some of you have yours mounted. I normally run a 102" whip.

thanks

Ryan

No picture, but my whip is bolted to the top of the inner part of the driver's rear of the tub. I don't run a full top, so it works for me

How high

How hogh over the top do you go?
Trails aroung here have alot of low tree tops.

1 ft or higher? Don't want to snap it

Some events don't like the 102" whips because of the way they swing wildly while going over obstacles. Afraid it make hit an observer and poke their eye out. :doh: IMO, they are the best mobile CB antenna to use.

I use a shorter base-loaded whip on one corner of my front bumper for my CB. I have another short base-loaded whip on the other end of the bumper for my 2M VHF. My bumper is a shortie, so both antennas are well inboad of the truck sides.

Not the best locations for optimum SWR, but they work fine while on the trails.

It's pretty darn hard to damage a steel whip. You sure as heck aren't going to snap it.

I run 5 rigs at the moment with 102 inch whips on springs. I've been running this setup for years. Never hurt an antenna no matter how hard I bashed it through the brush.

I mount my antennas either on a front brush bar or a short pedestal off of the bumper. Driver side.

I see an SWR of about 1.2 on most of the rigs. I prefer the front because when it brush slings it back it is still over the rig, rather than reaching back behind you. And if you do chose to tie the end down, it is better to have it laying back over the rig for the brush to press further downward instead of reaching froward from the back of the rig for brush to snag underneath and lift.

Mark...

I know I had a problem when I was running mine from the back of the passenger rear quarter, above the tailights. If the person I was trying to talk to was behind me I could talk for a long ways, but if they were infront of me , the top cut down on the distance I could talk. I was thinking about trying to install the same style spring mount either in the tire carrier that I am building, or into the hardtip near the rear hinges... but then I don't have it when I run with the top off... OH decisions...

thanks
Ryan

I run a fiberglass whip. It doesn't flop around as much and stays more vertical, which helps a bit for comm.

As for over-head clearance, i don't have to worry about that in the desert too much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom