Antenna (not so) Fun (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hants

SILVER Star
Threads
I went out this morning to put the new Antenna Mast in.

Pulled the old mast out no problem.

Put the new nylon cable in and had my wife push the Down button. No sound at all. :(

(I had not previously tried the up/down buttons, as the PO told me it was stuck up.)

I came in, search and printed out the antenna motor replacement writeup.

Went back out and started pulling the motor... yuck! :crybaby:

Question: What do I do to seal the wire where the Tap has broken the insulation?

I've already contacted CDan to order an OEM motor.
DSCN1731.JPG
DSCN1732.JPG

I'd simply wrap the spot with electrical wire. I suspect you already know this, but that no looky like Toyota motor. Hope they didn't butcher the dash switch wiring as well - better check that before the OEM motor arrives.

DougM

That would be the $35 ebay variety.

Well he said he already ordered the replacement motor from CDan. The larger problem is that all of those cut wires with electrical tape on them will need to be hooked back up correctly for your new motor to work correctly. The factory antenna system on these rigs is pretty involved to say the least. It's more of a trick than one might think to get manual control of an antenna!

Having said all that, your new motor SHOULD come with the wiring attached so you may have nothing more to do than plug it in. It looks like they at least did you the favor of cutting the harness AFTER the OEM connector rather than cutting it out completely...

Hants said:
Question: What do I do to seal the wire where the Tap has broken the insulation?

I've already contacted CDan to order an OEM motor.

Good on the OEM motor...hopefully, that's why it's "stuck in the up position"... :rolleyes:

For the broken wires, I'd use some of that liquid electrical tape. You can brush it on and it seems to work pretty well.

tiorio said:
Having said all that, your new motor SHOULD come with the wiring attached so you may have nothing more to do than plug it in. It looks like they at least did you the favor of cutting the harness AFTER the OEM connector rather than cutting it out completely...

I'm hoping it does come with the wires to plug it in. There's an additional 2-wire plug that is dangling free. I haven't checked on it yet (I'll probably wait until the motor comes).

Fortunately, the only cut wires I found were post-connector.

Scamper said:
For the broken wires, I'd use some of that liquid electrical tape. You can brush it on and it seems to work pretty well.

Thanks for the tip. I was just going to put some RTV and then tape over it (it's what I have onhand :doh: ). I'm concerned about corrosion over time, so didn't want to just use electrical tape.

I'll check the local stores and find some.

New Assembly is in and the antenna works great! Anyone need a mast? The assembly includes a mast. I guess I could keep it -- just in case.

Routing the coax cable from the assembly to the back of the radio requires 3 extra joints in your arms :eek:

I had to remove the glovebox and the radio, but didn't need to pull the whole dash. I tied a string to the old cable, pulled the old cable out, then tied the string to the new cable and fished it through. That kept the routing the same. However, getting the connector through the LITTLE hole in the body panel up next to the door hinge was a :censor: .

Scamper said:
For the broken wires, I'd use some of that liquid electrical tape

Cleaned the gunk off the wire, then used liquid tape to seal it up.

IdahoDoug said:
Hope they didn't butcher the dash switch wiring as well - better check that before the OEM motor arrives.

Thankfully, no other wiring issues! :beer:

Hants said:
I guess I could keep it -- just in case.

Keep it. I've had 3 stop working.

Hants said:
Routing the coax cable from the assembly to the back of the radio requires 3 extra joints in your arms.

Or a willing wife with small arms.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom