Antenna mast broken off, which guide do I follow? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ordered the replacement $30 mast from CDan, but can't figure out which walk-through I am suposed to look at and follow to replace it. The nylon cable may or may not be stripped, but the antenna is broken off at the base. This is in a 92, aftermarket radio, if it matters.

I'm not sure either. I've done 2 93's and a 97 but I don't know if the 92 is different. I'd say remove the bezel, have someone run the antenna up and see if the entire plastic cable comes out in your hand. If so, you're in business - feed the new one back in as instructed for the 93/4. If it's broken off and doesn't all come out, you'll be pulling the motor out the hole in the inner fender to open it up anyhow. HTH.

DougM

I have a '93 LC (original owner, 164k). Family members have snapped off or bent the antenna mast three times now. First replacement was an after-market which did not work well due to poor fit.

From that experience, I considered only the dealer replacement part viable. Neither the original nor the dealer replacement power antena took a mast "cartridge/refill". Forced to replace the entire assembly. (Unlike my '91 Celica) The antenna "refill" idea is so much easier and less costly.

I'm surprised to see that IdahoDoug's reference to a replaceable unit for the '93, maybe I was sold the wrong part from the dealer after I decided the after-market product was a bad idea. Maybe they made a switch mid-year, my '93 was purchased in March of that year.

I just replace the ant. mast of my '94 yesterday (wouldn't full retract). I was not patient enough and almost screwed it up. I only saw a cable, off white and a couple mm in diameter, that screws into the antenna mast assembly.

I don't know if the FJ80 has the same mount, but what I did was:

1)With masking tape wrapped pliers, I loosened the ant. nut.

2)My arms are long enough that I could extend the ant. and hold on to it at the same time. Otherwise a second person or some other mechanism to prevent the antenna from falling and scratching the body.

3)Using two pair of needle nose pliers, I loosend the little nut (part of the antenna mast assemble that screws into the cable) from the cable, then unscrewed the rest of the mast.

4)Reverse order with the new mast.

I wish I had not been so impatient, it would have saved me some time. I had hoped for better reception, but alas I'll have to settle for an antenna that fully extends and retracts.

Good luck
Ross

Well, the cable seems to be cut off with about 1/3rd it's length. There was no end to screw onto the end of the new mast, so this must mean whole new assembly, or can I just buy the nylon cable?

I don't know, but hopefully not a whole unit. Does the motor still run?

Ross

Rogorn,

Sounds like your dealer preferred to sell you the mega buck solution instead of the $25 new mast.

I've replaced the entire plastic cable on the 97, but both 93 replacements required only the metal mast to be screwed onto the cable as Ross describes. But I'd bet there is also a replacement for the plastic cable for your 93 available rather than having to buy an entire unit. I didn't know Cdan was on vacation, but it's worth the wait for him to get back and provide the correct part.

DougM

IdahoDoug, that is very good to know.

As $$ are short, this last time, the broken antenna has gone "unrepaired" as I haven't been able to earmark $200 for the entire motor/antenna assembly from the dealer.

I'll certainly be having a "discussion" with Cdan in the near future as I also need the Toyota FSM for our LC. It has some "issues" which will need resolving. The Chilton's and Haynes aftermarket manuals I have are real lightweights, if not downright mis-leading at times.

I have the Toyota FSM for my Celica and daughter's Camry. They are indispensible, particularly when doing rebuilds... not to mention, fun to read! ;)

if the cable to mast bolt is broken, the replacement cable from a late 80s camry works but you have to trim the cable to the same length. Dan sold me one and it is in right now. For some reason it clanks on me now and then but it is exactly the same cable as stock and bolts onto the replacement mast perfectly.

you can also buy the cable/mast combo from an 85 4runner. it is not perfect (sometimes sticks the last 2 inches when retracting) but it is half the cost of a new mast and camry cable. i had this for 2 years without issues before going to the camry cable. One thing I notice is the 85 antenna is shorter so at full extension it does not hit the roof in parking garages as my stock one does.

Well, I will keep a lookout for CDan to get back, if there is a replacement nylon cable. Are all the antenna assemblies the same 91-97?

Dredging up a 17 year old thread. I've also read several threads in the FAQ and assorted links. One thread listed still good part numbers for a new mast and the outer rubber part and outer threaded piece. All three parts show as being good for a '94.

After 28 years of ownership I pulled a senior moment and forgot to retract the antenna before driving thru some brush and bent the antenna mast. I've bent it pretty straight ant it'll still retract all but about 8" and will almost extend completely so I know the motor assembly is still in good shape.

Pic of the new mast shows it coming with the plastic rod that extends and retracts the mast. Does that need to be secured in/on the motor assembly somehow? Thats where all the threads lack info. Does the motor need removing to do that??

Screenshot_20220425-101413_Chrome.jpg

TIA!!

Last edited:
Dredging up a 17 year old thread. I've also read several threads in the FAQ and assorted links. One thread listed still good part numbers for a new mast and the outer rubber part and outer threaded piece. All three parts show as being good for a '94.

After 28 years of ownership I pulled a senior moment and forgot to retract the antenna before driving thru some brush and bent the antenna mast. I've bent it pretty straight ant it'll still retract all but about 8" and will almost extend completely so I know the motor assembly is still in good shape.

Pic of the new mast shows it coming with the plastic rod that extends and retracts the mast. Does that need to be secured in/on the motor assembly somehow? Thats where all the threads lack info. Does the motor need removing to do that??

View attachment 2991868

TIA!!
When I ordered that part number back in 2019, it was ONLY the mast. I did NOT have to remove the motor or cable. It did NOT have the pigtail it is showing above.

I found a thread here showing what to do, however, it was incredibly easy.

Put the antenna part way up.
Loosen the fender nut on top of the fender shaped plastic part.
You will need a TINY adjustable wrench to loosen / install the mast. It literally unscrews at the base after you lift it up out of the fender, then you screw on the new one, snug it tight, then reinstall the fender nut, cycle it up and down and you're done. 30 minutes using my "old guy formula". It was easier than I anticipated.

I used a pair of large slip-joint pliers to loosen /tighten the fender nut (proper tool is a spanner wrench or antenna nut)
Needle-nose pliers to loosen the old mast and to hold the old mast
6" adjustable wrench (Crescent wrench) to tighten the new mast.

Last edited:
Hmm, what has that metal stick thing got to do with streaming music? I'm confused :hmm:

When I replaced mine a decade or more ago (broken plastic toothed rod), it came as per your picture (mast and plastic as 1 piece). I had to pull my motor assy and remove the broken plastic section. Reinstalled the motor and I then just pushed the new plastic down and the motor drew it in. There's no 'securing' the plastic, it just feeds in as far as needed and can't over extend since the metal part of the antenna is captured. You have to run it up/down a few times with the manual switch to 'time' the open/closed height.

Toyota in the infinite wisdom (yes, SARCASM) have the motor/antenna assembly hard wired to the antenna coax into the vehicle - i.e. you can't easily remove the motor assembly to work on the bench, bastards! But in your case you don't need to touch the motor assembly.

Given how often I use the radio part of my head unit, it's quite possible my antenna has seized up by now or maybe even stolen by the precious metal thieves :lol:

cheers,
george.

Put the antenna part way up.
Loosen the fender nut on top of the fender shaped plastic part.
You will need a TINY adjustable wrench to loosen / install the mast. It literally unscrews at the base after you lift it up out of the fender, then you screw on the new one, snug it tight, then reinstall the fender nut, cycle it up and down and you're done. 30 minutes using my "old guy formula". It was easier than I anticipated.

I used a pair of large slip-joint pliers to loosen /tighten the fender nut (proper tool is a spanner wrench or antenna nut)
Needle-nose pliers to loosen the old mast and to hold the old mast
6" adjustable wrench (Crescent wrench) to tighten the new mast.

Assuming you have the "toothed" version that comes in 95+ and LX450's - this is mostly it. I did this a few months ago and once everything is loosened and the spanner wrench type nut is off- it helps to have someone press the "up" button on the antenna WHILE you pull the old mast off... try it first with regular effort, and if the entire plastic end does not come completely off, have the person helping press the "down" button again and repeat with a little more effort till the whole thing comes out. Remember the way the teeth are facing when feeding back the new antenna. If the radio is on for the newer models, max it can go down leaves you about 3-4 inches and once you turn the radio off it should completely retract.

Good luck!

Assuming you have the "toothed" version that comes in 95+ and LX450's - this is mostly it. I did this a few months ago and once everything is loosened and the spanner wrench type nut is off- it helps to have someone press the "up" button on the antenna WHILE you pull the old mast off... try it first with regular effort, and if the entire plastic end does not come completely off, have the person helping press the "down" button again and repeat with a little more effort till the whole thing comes out. Remember the way the teeth are facing when feeding back the new antenna. If the radio is on for the newer models, max it can go down leaves you about 3-4 inches and once you turn the radio off it should completely retract.

Good luck!
FYI, OP has a 94.

Mine is a 96 (8/95) and all I had to replace was the mast itself and it did not come with the long pigtail cable.

Well, I will keep a lookout for CDan to get back, if there is a replacement nylon cable. Are all the antenna assemblies the same 91-97?
Yes, they're all the same. I think it's a pretty big PITA to change out the nylon cable on them, as they don't just come out when the antenna is put up like on the later models. Even if the motor is working, you might just be better off to buy a complete assembly. They usually run about $200 on Ebay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom