answers for a 1993 Land Cruiser Prado power steering pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Folks,
I need a PS pump for a 93 Prado, they say they are not available anymore. Is there a work around for this issue?
Thanks in advance, Allen
Q-LJ78W-PGT
LJ78-0041652

Hi Folks,
I need a PS pump for a 93 Prado, they say they are not available anymore. Is there a work around for this issue?
Thanks in advance, Allen
Q-LJ78W-PGT
LJ78-0041652

I'd look hard for someone parting out a 2LTE and see if you can buy a used PS pump.

Worst case though, looks like these guys can help you ($$$): http://www.euro4x4parts.com/parts/dpa1014-0_steering_power_pump_44320-60130.html

Megazip also shows a rebuilt pump in stock. (part number 40140-60201)

You could also look closely at the Megazip part numbers for the pump and see if the parts are shared with other Toyota models in North America. Maybe you can just replace whatever is wrong with yours.

Cheers,
Nick

Hey Nick,

I was hoping to hear from you. (I was crossing my fingers for better news, but not a thing you can do about that).

Finding any of these being parted out in the lower 48 is more like hunting for chicken teeth than anything else. Certainly none around my area.

First place I looked was Megazip, not sure how you access rebuilt parts there but the one you located is wildly expensive, makes the one from Euro seem cheep.
In fact I think I may just get the one from Euro and be done with it.

Thanks for your help as always, Allen

Will the 3L or 5L pump work?

Will the 3L or 5L pump work?

Ya know I'm not sure.
I have a Surf and the pumps are quite different between the two of them, both are 2L-TE motors but way different front axles.
That's why I posted here, maybe someone knows enough about the different models they can inform me what else might work.
THX

Looking at some pics, they seem to have different shaft lengths

I'm not sure if there might be some internal differences as well, I know I couldn't tell that story.

I'm on the road right now for 3 days. I'll get right on the search when I get home.
I bought a JDM Engine a few years back.
I'm pretty sure it is still in the shed. The pulley did sustain a dent from shipping.
But if you get the pulley off (it appears pressed on somehow).
I'll take pics of it. PM me your email, and if you are interested, you can have it for free.

Is there a RH and LH version of the same pump?

Parts seem to be available. Is it possible to rebuild it?

I had a 1HZ pump rebuilt by this guy near me a few years back. He dismantled it in front of me. He said it had been abused by not having regular fluid changes (by previous owners) . He said the main shaft had wear marks consistent with small particles of metal in the fluid. He said he thought he could smooth out the shaft on a lathe without losing too much diameter. Got it back and it worked great for 80000klm until I sold it after 6 years with lots of offroad.

Power steering systems are often over looked. I've done two flushes on mine now - used ATF in it if I remember correct. There is a little "how to" on the forums somewhere. Definitely worth doing for those that have not done it. Check color of your power steering fluid; if it's brown-ish, its past time to change.

@roscoFJ73 , upon closer inspection, These LJ70 pumps appear to have 3 distinct sections. Front half of the Casing that has a seal , output shaft w/ key to turn the pulley. A back half with HIGH Pressure Output for a hose, and a side attachment for the LOW Pressure Line / Input Hose.

The Front Half of these PS Pumps could be the same (hard to tell with 100% certainty without taking mine off), I'm just too lazy to pull mine off the LJ70 at this moment to thoroughly inspect it. There is no serial/part number on any part of this pump.

The back Half High Pressure side of casing is definitely different between the 2 units that I have. And the back half section of this PS Pump has the "filler" tube / low pressure line on the outside side of the casing since this is a RHD car it is on the RH side of the back half of the casing (as viewed from the front of the LJ). On my LHD LJ70, this low pressure line is on the outside/ left hand side as viewed from the front of the vehicle. With the tensioning bracket there, it is hard to take pics.

Below are pics of a PS Pump that came off of a RHD 2L-TII >1990 (vehicle unknown)
The "feed" line is bent/tweeked, but this piece appears to pull right out. Just loosen the 2 bolt holding it in.
I hope that helps someone.

8A1955C0-F8F2-4224-A611-5221D5D94FAC.jpeg

8E47231A-1349-4EF1-A002-3ADDC62EBB62.jpeg

5C3DE7BE-334E-46F9-A4FC-023B0D5C1775.jpeg

A2E1C142-C7E7-4459-ABED-546C92D97605.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom