Another wheel fitment thread 🙄😜😅 Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've been looking all over and I apologise if I overlooked the answer to this question, but has anyone ran or know if a 255/75/17 8.5 -22 offset fit a stock 2005 gx470 with minimal to no rub? Want to run the largest tire I can without having to trim anything or at least very minimal trimming.

I was going to run the stock rims on the 255/75 but I found a rim I like Black Rhino Sandstorm in a 17 8.5 -22 configuration. Was going to run 265/70/17. However I think I like the skinny look better. Also, I would be able to run both sizes on the 8.5 if the skinnys don't work out. That rim is also available in a 0 offset which I am sure will fit with no trimming and I could always add spacers to get the poke I'm looking for. Would like to stay away from spacers if possible and thus the question if the -22 is too much to clear from lock to lock.

I was back and forth between kenda klever RT, wild peak AT3 and Grabber X3s. Although the X3s are the only tire I have found available in the 255/75/17. So looks like the X3s on this package if the -22 will fit.

Any advise would be appreciated or if anyone is running a similar offset/combo to show exactly how far the tire will poke outside the wheel well at -22. Thanks!

Others will probably have a more-exact answer, but I’m thinking you might get some rubbing with that setup.
First question ...do you have any lift up front? If not, I think rubbing is unavoidable, though fairly easy to address (trimming mud flaps, maybe hammering a pinch weld).
I have that size (255/75-17). When I was at stock height, I rubbed pretty good in reverse and at full lock forward.
Now I have a 3” lift up front. My wheels are 4Runner rims...-15 offset I believe. No rubbing...
One other thing to note, that tire size is about the largest you can fit in the spare tire location.
Good luck

Others will probably have a more-exact answer, but I’m thinking you might get some rubbing with that setup.
First question ...do you have any lift up front? If not, I think rubbing is unavoidable, though fairly easy to address (trimming mud flaps, maybe hammering a pinch weld).
I have that size (255/75-17). When I was at stock height, I rubbed pretty good in reverse and at full lock forward.
Now I have a 3” lift up front. My wheels are 4Runner rims...-15 offset I believe. No rubbing...
One other thing to note, that tire size is about the largest you can fit in the spare tire location.
Good luck
The 4runner wheels are +15 os. This gives you -10 compared to the stock gx wheels at +25 os. You have to get into aftermarket wheels to get a negative os.

A -22 os will probably give you <1" outside the wheel wells. See flsful's post to see what a -25 os paired with 1.25" spacers will give you stance wise. He's running a 245/75 kenda klever r/t and doesn't report rubbing issues. I've seen people with issues running larger tires with large negative os, but that was in the 35" range.

A few people report rubbing issues with that tire size with 0 to +25 os wheels both with and without lifts. It seems likely that you'll need to do some trimming of the liner and or boards up front.

Good luck
When you rubbed before were you on the stock GX rims or 4runner?

No lift yet, still doing research. May take the "free lift" approach I have seen a few people try with the washer trick and the air bag sensors. Perhaps wait until the air bags fail to dive into the lift though. Building more towards camping luxuries with minimal off road mods at this time.

I did consider that size for the spare as well. I will be relocating the spare soon and adding a secondary fuel tank to increase range. So no worries about fitment there as it will not be a problem for long.

The 4runner wheels are +15 os. This gives you -10 compared to the stock gx wheels at +25 os. You have to get into aftermarket wheels to get a negative os.

A -22 os will probably give you <1" outside the wheel wells. See flsful's post to see what a -25 os paired with 1.25" spacers will give you stance wise. He's running a 245/75 kenda klever r/t and doesn't report rubbing issues. I've seen people with issues running larger tires with large negative os, but that was in the 35" range.

A few people report rubbing issues with that tire size with 0 to +25 os wheels both with and without lifts. It seems likely that you'll need to do some trimming of the liner and or boards up front.
Thanks this helps a bunch! Im not sure the spacers plus the -25 os is a look I'm particularly going for. May be too much for my style. I do like the idea of a 245 though. Will have to do some research on that tire size and options. I was honestly leaning towards the kendas as I think they look the best. As well as the price.

Yes, I figured the -22 would give about an 1" of poke Which is about all the more I would want to do. But until this post I hadn't seen many setups that had that os. Most are running no more than -12.

Few things for you to consider on your wheel options:

a 255/75/17 on a 8.5" wheel is going to give an ever so slight stretch look. Yes, the tire will physically mount on the wheel, but that tire is ideally designed for a 7-8" wheel, and the same goes for a 245/75/17. After 15 years in the tire industry, I personally wouldn't go less than a 265 width on a 8.5" wheel. I've got the OE Tundra wheels (17x7.5 with a +15os, and 1.25 spidertrax spacers) with 255/75/17 Yokohama Geolandar M/T's. I like the look, and my wheels sit flush with the fender. On 2" OME medium duty with JBA UCA's, I had to trim the front fender liner, but haven't had to touch the rear fender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom