Another "whats this" thread.... now its another flasher/hazard thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rusto

SILVER Star
Threads
(Please disregard the overspray - I'm working on it!)

So. Working to track down my flasher/hazard relay on my 75 BJ40 and found this in a somewhat questionable state. Is this the glow plug relay?

It's not OEM, obviously, but trying to make sense of the wiring under the dash.

Glow plug light doesn't work, bh the way.

20200815_155542.jpg

20200815_155529.jpg

20200815_155546.jpg

It has a green and green/white wire going into it.

Thanks for the help!

Too small for glow plug relay. In the 1st photo I see a capacitor and a resistor so that thing might be the flasher module. Capacitors can make intermittent electrical flow.
Googling Tridon and flasher reveals Tridon company makes flashers.

Too small for glow plug relay. In the 1st photo I see a capacitor and a resistor so that thing might be the flasher module. Capacitors can make intermittent electrical flow.
Googling Tridon and flasher reveals Tridon company makes flashers.

Thanks for the confirmation.

So I'm not crazy! (Well, at least not for that) I searched that brand as well and thought flasher relay., but i didn't see a power line coming out of it, nor a ground.

I need to figure out how to replace that with this

20200815_213844.jpg

the blimkers come on when engaged at steering column but they are all on.

Thats definitely the relay as when I disconnect it, the blinkers don't work at all

Usually there is a flasher unit which sends intermittent bursts of electrical current through to a left blinker relay and a right blinker relay. There might be a third relay for the Hazard switch. Turn signals and hazard all get the ability to blink from the one flasher unit.

I’m pretty sure the hand operated turn signal switch sends power to the flasher unit and the right or left relay. When the left or right relay gets power both from the switch and from the flasher, the corresponding lights comes on until the flasher stops allowing juice to go through. The lights blink.
I think the flasher unit sends intermittent power to both relays at the same time but since the hand switch sends power only to one of the relays at a time, only one side of lights will blink.
So your L1 and L2 wires need to go to the left and right turn relays. Should not matter which one goes where.

I agree @jblueridge . And thanks for the real-time support. MUD!!

I switched to LED flashers and corresponding relay. Maybe the hot wire and ground are unique to LED supporting relay. The new relay when not ground or connected to power, does the same thing.

I'll call Old Iron Off Road on Monday, they sold me the new relay and have super supportive so far.

Maybe you should take some more photos and post them.
I am saying the funky gizmo in your vehicle and the Odd Iron gizmo are not relays. They just make the power supply to the relays blink On and Off. Maybe you get that.
You wrote that the hand switch makes all the blinkers come on. Meaning not Left or Right turn, but both sets regardless of how you moved the switch?
If that is true I would suspect the hand switch or the wires running from it to the relays.

I definitely will post more pics and such.

One point of clarification, when I move indicator on steering column to left. Only left come on, but they don't blink, and vice versa. You are right,, relay isn't the right word. Its the "flasher" that I'm replacing.

maybe LED doesn't draw enough to open and close flasher circuit, hence the power supply that I need to connect.

Talked to Bob at Odd Iron Off road. Can't speak highly enough about the service and support. It's not like I'm spending major bucks there - about $50 in LED bulbs and a flasher - but he picked up the phone first call, I described the situation. He looked at the two BJs he has in his shop right now (how many places in the US can say that)... Said he'd have to call me back. He called me back in 10 minutes, described my aftermarket flasher and then proceeded to walk me through how to properly install his.

When I have a few minutes tonight, I'll make it happen.

My confusion was the L1 and L2 jumper. I don't need to L2 jumper, as mine doesn't have separate flasher for hazards. Now, power goes to the X, L1 goes into the L, and ground gets grounded.

Good to go! Blinkers that blink at the rate that they should, reverse lights that work, running lights.. Bob hooked it up.

Amazing what running the right voltage bulbs can do for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom