1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another whats that sound thread!

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Zack1978, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Zack1978

Zack1978 SILVER Star

Media:
    Hey everyone,
    I know that it is usually hard to figure out what a noise is without hearing it, but I will ask anyway!

My 87 FJ-60 (246,000 miles) has developed a loud clicking/ticking noise seemingly emminating from the engine. The clicking is there at idle, and as you increase the engine speed, it gets faster and louder. I am not 100% sure at all, however I sounds like it's near the drivers side of the engine, but I could be hearing things!

So does anyone have any ideas as far as what to look at and look for?

Thanks,
    Zack

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    When was the last time you adjusted the valves?

3. Weaver

Weaver

i have the exact same noise going on right now. it's my smog pump being obnoxious. i'll prolly gut it this weekend untill my eliminator gets here next week, i dont want that thing going out on me during my 100 mile daily commutes.

4. RredFJ40

RredFJ40

I vote for the valves too, have you listened with the hood up? Try putting your ear to a long screwdriver.

"stop baby, what's that sound? everybody look what's goin' down!"

5. VETTE60

VETTE60

Media:
    Albums:
    could also be a loose exhaust manifold

6. Dynosoar

Dynosoar Slightly Disturbed SILVER Star

I vote for an exhuast leak.

Dynosoar

7. Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat

How many miles are on your engine? If your valves are properly adjusted, and you don't have any exhaust leaks (check around the air injection rail too), you may have valve train wear that can't be adjusted out. It is a solid lifter engine. I'm in the same sitaution. My 2F engine sounds like a diesel but still has great compression. I continue to drive it until I can't get my new (to me) diesel installed.

8. Zack1978

Zack1978 SILVER Star

Media:

Ok this might be solid lead, as I kinda think the sound is near the drivers side, and my PS pump went out as well so it could have dumped oil on it. However the exhaust could be leaking as well, because I think it has gotten louder, ie, "donut" gasket. But to me the clicking sounds seperate from the exhaust. I guess I have to get it to the shop. If the smog pump is bad, what does a new pump run? iS IT OK TO GET a Napa reman, or do I have to go OEM Toyota?

Thanks,
    Zack

9. Weaver

Weaver

i heard the remans aren't bad. you can get them for around 80 or so. jimCs got a nice little eliminator unit for about a 100, and sors got a CNCed one for 200, if staying smog legals not a concern.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">